RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX487 System Drive Failed Segate 7200.11

rpudner

My EX847 died yesterday, it woke from sleep as usual, but a couple of hors later I noticed it was not on the network, I tried a server recovery,but the restore could not find the server, I tried a few suggestions including turning off the firewall

, but no joyu, I then decided to swap my drives and remove the currebt system drive and move the 2nd drive into it's position, ran the restore again and the server was found, aborted, put the system drive back in, but in the 2nd position, and server not found again, aborted , removed the system drive, re ran, server found again, so decided the old system drive is toast, noticed the drives are Segate 7200.11 drives, and remembered these have a firmware issue, so put the disk info into the segate website and was advised an update was avaliable, and to contact my OEM. I will replace the system drive, but want to know has anyone updated the firmware on these drives on a pool drive, or should I just replace the second drive withj a new one once I have the new system drive up and running.

Funnily enough, I posted yesterday on my mistrust of Seagate/Maxtor drives and their poor quality.

You know what I am going to say next don't you?

Consign to dustbin and try to forget you ever had them B)

edited for puncuation

Edited by britishbob

Doesn't sound like you have much to lose. Do the firmware update. From what I read, it sounds like yours is the type of problem this update addresses.

Thanks for the replys, I have ordered a new drive for the system, I think I will get this up and running then add another drive to the pool, then remove the other Segate will let you know how it goes later this week. I did come across an artical which warned not to apply the Segate firmware update to a drive in a home server pool, also the tool provided by segate did not work on a home server, not sure if drive extender may have an effect, so I think i will need to format in a PC apply the firmware and then reuse.

Thanks again