RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems after backup

pslates

I have a homebuilt pc with an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and an Athlon 64 X2 processor 3800+ and 2 GB of RAM that is running Win 7 pro. I have had problems regarding starting this computer the day after it has been automatically backed up. The backup does not seem to be the problem because the computer automatically wakes up from sleep, is backed up and then put back to sleep. The next day I go to use this computer I see no lights on the front but see lights from the back. I press the power button and see a message I believe regarding the computer not being off but coming out of sleep but the boot up takes much longer than if it had been off as if there has been some type of problem.

I have other computers and have never seen this problem with them. I have been running WHS V1 for years and seen this problem regarding that server and this same pc before but at least one I did a clean install and from then on it worked find. So now that I am running WHS 2011 I did another clean install on this Asus pc but this morning had the same wake up problem.

I am curious if anyone else had had this problem or if anyone can tell me how I can set this computer to only backup when it is on. I knew of that method in V1 but do not see that option in WHS 2011.

Edited by pslates

Go into the power settings and make it where it never goes to sleep. See if that helps. Another option, if you believe it is related to the connector, uninstall and then reinstall.

I saw something similar on a Samsung NC10.

As advised above, I set the power setting so that while the display would go off the the computer would never sleep while on mains.

Solved the problem for me.

As to manufacture.... One of the reasons I recently had typing probs on the chat is that I have just bought an Asus U52 laptop and I am not seeing the problems you describe on it.

If I had to guess, it's the version of Windoze 7

The version on the NC10 is Ultimate 32 bit upgraded from Home Premium and the problem didn't begin until the upgrade.... I have not seen the same problems on the Asus or the desktop, both of which are ultimate 64 bit.

Hope this info helps you resolve the issue

Edited by britishbob

I am curious if anyone else had had this problem or if anyone can tell me how I can set this computer to only backup when it is on. I knew of that method in V1 but do not see that option in WHS 2011.

Over the years I have seen all kinds of problems with Sleeping and Hibernation modes. It seems to vary with hardware as well as the version of Windows. I've always put it down to different interpretations of the spec.