RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IP Address Issues

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I changed from a linksys router to a dlink and am having problems with port forwarding o the server. Whenever I look at the remote access tab in settings it is using an ip address from the linksys router. It won't seem to release it even though I have disabled remote access and rebooted the server several times. How do I get it to release the old linksys ip and get a new ip address from the dlink. The dlink is assigning an ip address as I can see it in the dlink web configuration tools; and it doesn't match what the server is showing in the settings tab. If I do ipconfig/all on the server, the ip address matches what the dlink is assigning. Is this my problem (ie the ip address in the remote access tab in settings)? Or is it an issue with the router?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

Release and reacquire your domain to see if that helps. Reboot after domain release and before reacquireing.

I did that numerous times before I posted. Didn't help.

Is the server static or DHCP?

DHCP

Give it a static address and see what happens and/or create a reservation and flush the DNS on the server (ipconfig /flushdns)and reboot either way.

I will throw this out. I was using an add-in (Homeserversync) for a while that really messed up my remote access. Every time I would try and turn it on it would fail and the IP address that was shown was not the correct one for my server. I could not find a why to update the IP address and I use address reservations in my DLink router. I remembered I was using HomeServerSync and it uses a remote connection to upload to the cloud. Once I removed it, everything returned to normal.

Give it a static address and see what happens and/or create a reservation and flush the DNS on the server (ipconfig /flushdns)and reboot either way.

I'm voting this method up. While reading the problem I was thinking go static. Then you can always go back to dynamic and then reserve the address.

I will throw this out. I was using an add-in (Homeserversync) for a while that really messed up my remote access. Every time I would try and turn it on it would fail and the IP address that was shown was not the correct one for my server. I could not find a why to update the IP address and I use address reservations in my DLink router. I remembered I was using HomeServerSync and it uses a remote connection to upload to the cloud. Once I removed it, everything returned to normal.

Hmmm, I have crashplan. I wonder if that could be my problem.

I'm voting this method up. While reading the problem I was thinking go static. Then you can always go back to dynamic and then reserve the address.

A static ip is no help.

Is this a headless server or with with a keyboard and monitor? If the later, unistall the NIC in Device Manager, reboot, letting the drivers auto install andthat will clear out everything.

After about 6 hours on this problem, I gave up and put the linksys router back in. It really sucks because the dlink DIR-825 was so much faster, even on wired connections.