RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New build, finally upgrading from my old Gen8.

paradox

Got the base GOLD unit from ebuyer for £439.89:

https://www.ebuyer.com/964563-hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-entry-ultra-micro-tower-pentium-p16005-421

Grabbed an Intel i3-9100F for £57 from eBay, as well as 2x Samsung DDR4 2666Mhz ECC RAM 32GB UDIMM M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ for £256.00

was hoping the unit would arrive today but for some reason just the hp iLO card came:

HPE - Enablement kit - For ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

4m6QW6m.jpg

https://www.ebuyer.com/964566-hpe-enablement-kit-for-proliant-microserver-gen10-p13788-b21

Which was £41.89 also from ebuyer.

I have an IBM ServeRaid M1015 card I'll be putting in there straight away and just feeding a cable out to my splitter card housed in a mini itx case with drives in etc.

Is there a link to the latest service pack / firmware all in one update isos anywhere?

Will post more pics of it and as I build it. 

Thanks for looking.

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Links to the SPP deleted as you need an active support subscription to have access to these.

Oh my bad. I hosted the Gen8 ones and don't remember there being an issue.

Anyway,

Just the box came today, plugged the iLo card in and currently updating all the firmware:

xSsPbMo.jpg

AN7OgRa.jpg

KPmTIyO.jpg

7GCOWMK.jpg

There's no ODD so I'm figuring out how to use the SD to boot with GRUB into an SSD boot device attached to my expansion card.

As this is a new server under warranty, once you register it with HPE, you will be able to download SPP for it.

Not sure why you would need Grub to boot an SSD. If you are adding an HBA it should be able to boot. Is there room to hide an SSD internal?

Instead of cutting a hole, you could use a LSI card with internal and external connections:

HP LSI SAS9217-4i4e RAID Controller 8 Ports PCIe HP 792099-001 LSI 927-4i4e SAS | eBay

1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

As this is a new server under warranty, once you register it with HPE, you will be able to download SPP for it.

Not sure why you would need Grub to boot an SSD. If you are adding an HBA it should be able to boot. Is there room to hide an SSD internal?

Instead of cutting a hole, you could use a LSI card with internal and external connections:

HP LSI SAS9217-4i4e RAID Controller 8 Ports PCIe HP 792099-001 LSI 927-4i4e SAS | eBay

I'm running TrueNAS, in the Gen8 I had GRUB on the internal SD and chainloaded the SSD ODD drive as my boot drive, however the Gen10 can't see drives outside of it (I can see the drives on the IBM card listed in chainload as (hd07,hd08,hd9) etc, but selecting any of them returns an error like can't access.

I've been at this all day now. I just can't get grub to boot my SSD HDD attached to the IBM card.

I suppose I could just plug it into the first internal drive slot, and I don't think TrueNAS will care where the drive is located - but I'd really prefer to use the internal bays for actual HDDs with a proper backplane and cooling.

tJQR5If.png

I was sitting waiting for Rufus to format my usb into ext4 with grub, and the server powered on from WOL, and TrueNAS started booting fine. I guess I don't need GRUB if I am booting from a drive inside the server, which in retrospect is obvious, but I was so fixated on GRUB.

I've got my RAM/CPU coming hopefully by friday, and I plan to de-lid the CPU and use liquid metal between the IHS and die.

Hey, couldn't I take the SAS cable from the G10's internal backplane, plug it into slot 2 on my IBM card, and plug the boot SSD into the port on the motherboard? That should work in theory I think.. going to try it.