RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Mirroring on WHS

Diablov

Hello from Russia and sorry for my bad english.

I made a new computer with WHS. (it have its own monitor+KB+mouse).

It have:

drive-1 - 160GB - system drive containing WHS. (as usually - 20GB system drive + 140GB for data)

drive-2 - 2TB drive

drive-3 - 2TB drive

I bought two 2TB drives to make a mirror with 100% guarantee for safe my backup data.

First day i made a mirror in "Drive Management" (into WHS) - all work good and in Explorer a saw one 2TB drive.

Second day i installed "Windows Home Server Console" on my main computer, and in "Server Storage" i see 160GB drive and both 2TB drives. Both 2TB drives was "not added".

I add both of them - and after go to WHS desktop - in "explorer" i see two drives 2TB+2TB. So... no more mirror. Drives was reformatted.

I cant understand - what i must to do - to save a mirror drives?. The one way - to use "Folder Dublucation" in "WHS Console"? Or i can to make normal "mirror" in WHS?

Edited by Diablov

I don't beleive you can make a mirror when the drives are part of the pool. For WHS V1 you don't need the mirror. Just leave it as it is and use folder duplication.

I don't beleive you can make a mirror when the drives are part of the pool. For WHS V1 you don't need the mirror. Just leave it as it is and use folder duplication.

See - i delete both 2TB drives in "WHS Console" and make mirror in "Drive Management" again. (disk-1 and disk-2 now are dinamic disks)

Note: Administrator has removed the link since it did not display the image correctly. If you need help adding an image in the forums, please use a service that will allow public linking to the photo and add using the Insert Image function.

Edited by cskenney
unknown link

Assuming you are using WHS version 1. Is that correct? If so, it wasn't designed for you to go through the desktop to Drive Management and do what you are describing.

Please make clear if you are using WHS v1 or WHS2011.

I removed the link since it was supposed to be an image. Properly inserted images will show up without having to switch to another URL.

Another free image hosting in ".com" zone.

it's just confirmation that I created is really a mirror

untitlxcx.jpg

its WHS-1 SP2 (all auto apdates of course) + russian language interface pack

P.S. Sorry for Russian interface, but you can see the main:

1) its WHS SP2.

2) mirror was really made.

3) "Ресинхронизация" - is means "resynchronization". After 8 hours its 86% ready.

As i start to undestand - mirriring in "Drive management" - is just legacy of its mother (Win Server 2003), and if i will use "WHS console" on main computer (and most of WHS services) - i must use folder dublication. Correct?

Edited by cskenney
changed the Link to an Image

As i start to undestand - mirriring in "Drive management" - is just legacy of its mother (Win Server 2003), and if i will use "WHS console" on main computer (and most of WHS services) - i must use folder dublication. Correct?

Microsoft did not intend for users to use WHS from the desktop so you would normally not have access to Drive Management. Yes, it is legacy from Server 2003.

Since you have 2 additional 2TB drives in addition to your OS drive then you need to add the drives to the Pool. Enable Duplication and WHS will keep a copy of the duplicated shares on each of the 2TB drives. This is not a backup solution. It is meant to prevent file loss in the event of one of the 2 data drives failing.

Also, if you use the "Insert Image" button instead of the "Insert Link" your photos will show up in the forum (like I did for you above).

Not an expert on mirroring on WHS but wouldn't it be better to mirror from Bios?

Compliments on English translation btw

Xaroševo dnja

Edited by britishbob