RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bitlocker on Microserver Gen8 with microSD boot

korso

Hello!

I am currently running W2022 and booting via microSD to the ODD slot where I have the SSD installed as many others in the forum.

I was pondering on enabling bitlocker (software, no TPM) via software since our Gen8 doesn't support TPM 2.0. Any issues foreseeable due to booting via microSD? Someone in the forum has done it ? Any other caveats?

Much appreciated!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Korso,

My microserver has Windows 2019 server installed.   It boots via USB to the ODD slot which is a 500GB SSD.  I did initially use a Micro-sd but found it pretty unreliable - blue screens of death every day.  No such problem with the internal USB.

I have bitlocker running on it without the TPM.  I just enabled a password during boot instead of TPM.    I've had it running like this for at least a couple of years and had no problems at all.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @peteb99! I was concerned about compatibility issues. What about write performance? Did you feel a big impact?

Hi Korso,

I actually have four Gen 8 servers.     One of them has bitlocker enabled as described and one of them is a backup server that doesn't have bitlocker enabled.   I genuinely cannot tell the difference in speed.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @peteb99! I was always thinking about enabling bitlocker for extra layer of security on the server but was always concerned about breaking it up. I will now plan for it :)

• 1 month later...

So did some tests with bitlocker enabled, it is around 30-40% penalty on writes for mechanical drives. Reads no problem so it is something to have in mind if copying large files.

• 5 months later...