RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GPU Options - HP Gen8

VR6Pete

Hi folks,

I've been slowly upgrading components in my HP Gen8 and now my attention has turned to GPU.

The server is used for a mixture of applications, primarily running ESX workloads.

Home Assistant

Image processing (CCTV)

XMR mining (which can use a mixture of CPU and GPU for mining) would be nice to be able to improve hash rate with GPU.

I understand a low profile card is required, and have seen the "Gigabyte GT 1030 Low Profile D4 2G"

Can anyone please tell me if this is the best card to get, or if there is something on the market that is more powerful? 

Thanks!

Pete

Last time I checked there were a few cards better than the 1030GT I had at the time, thing is you also have to think about the fans being against the side of the case on the Gen8, you could go passive but then you also have the issue of airflow through the case.

There are low profile 1050Ti's and 1660's out there but the fans could cause issue, there is however the option of getting a low profile card and putting a 3rd party cooler on there if you fancy a bit of modding as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the reply buddy. 

Ideally I dont want to be modding and just want something that will drop in, of course more powerful cards the better, but understand compromises may need to be made.  

Keep those suggestions coming though - always good to get more opinions so informed decisions can be made.

cheers.

Pete

I'd start by measuring the gap between the slot and the side of the case, work out what GPU best suits your needs and then find a low profile version that either doesn't have a fan/case issue, or something passive that you can point a fan at like we used to with the HP Controller cards..

I popped the GT1030 LP in my Gen8, it works fine and is a massive improvement on the on board one, but I can't speak to it's power or if others are more powerful.

• Thanks 1

I put an Nvidia Quadro P400 in mine, it works well as far as I can tell, a good price as well.

Used for HW transcoding in plex, plus NVR software, I would recommend it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 12:00 AM, steeve said:

I put an Nvidia Quadro P400 in mine, it works well as far as I can tell, a good price as well.

Used for HW transcoding in plex, plus NVR software, I would recommend it.

Same here.

I've added a Nvidia Quadro P400 and working perfectly

• 1 month later...

Hi can I ask is there a specific p400 thats works well in the gen8 ie PNY or another manufacturer or just any low profile card really

Also fancy adding one for plex too

Edited by kiteboywales