RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Speeds V1

CablDeViL

I have a gigabit network through out my house. I noticed today that when sending a MKV to the WHS v1 I was only getting 10MB/sec. There is only one hop to my WHS and it has a Intel Dual Server Card installed. I sent the same file to my HTPC (that has 2 hops to get to it) and it was sending at a steady 60MB.

Tested everything, could it be a green drive in the WHS??

TY

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daleo1

• CablDeViL

• pcdoc

• jazzerjay

I think you mean 1 gigabit not gigabyte. Check on the WHS to see if it is connected at gigabit speeds (The easiest way is to RDP into the server and pull up task manager.

Sounds like to me not a gigbit on the WHS side or during a backup? Unless you've tried at different times and same size but different file types.

I have a gigabyte network through out my house. I noticed today that when sending a MKV to the WHS v1 I was only getting 10MB/sec. There is only one hop to my WHS and it has a Intel Dual Server Card installed. I sent the same file to my HTPC (that has 2 hops to get to it) and it was sending at a steady 60MB.

Tested everything, could it be a green drive in the WHS??

TY

Do you have any un-jumpered EARS drives as that the exact symptom?

I tested it on two different days so no i dont think it was load balancing. 3 of my 7 drives are EARS but they all have the jumpers installed. I haven't change the hardware for months now this problem just popped up.

I will send another 24 gig file to the server while checking the performance via task manager and see if there is an clues.

Ty, I will let you know what I find out.

I tested it on two different days so no i dont think it was load balancing. 3 of my 7 drives are EARS but they all have the jumpers installed. I haven't change the hardware for months now this problem just popped up.

I will send another 24 gig file to the server while checking the performance via task manager and see if there is an clues.

Ty, I will let you know what I find out.

I just tried some tests on my LAN.

From my desktop Caviar Green 2TB to Acer H340 w/Cavier Green Drive Pool: <20MB/sec

From my desktop Caviar Green 2TB to another Core2Duo w/ WD RE2 drive: ~35MB/sec

From the Core2Due desktop to the OCZ Revo SSD on my desktop: ~57MB/sec

The tests aren't exhaustive of course, but it sure looks like HD speed is a major factor in the transfer speeds. BTW, all 3 systems are showing 1Gb LAN connections in Task Mangler.

Edited by ikon

My mother board has dual gig lan also so to test to see if it was the network card I turned on the on board lan. No change in the speed. Tonight I will bring a test box next to the server and test speed from the cat6. If the speed improves then it has to be the pool drives.

I will install a hdd into the server and not to the pool. Then retest the transfer speeds.

Also I have verified the link speed in WHS and at the switch.

I just tried some tests on my LAN.

From my desktop Caviar Green 2TB to Acer H340 w/Cavier Green Drive Pool: <20MB/sec

From my desktop Caviar Green 2TB to another Core2Duo w/ WD RE2 drive: ~35MB/sec

From the Core2Due desktop to the OCZ Revo SSD on my desktop: ~57MB/sec

The tests aren't exhaustive of course, but it sure looks like HD speed is a major factor in the transfer speeds. BTW, all 3 systems are showing 1Gb LAN connections in Task Mangler.

Have you consider anti-virus being the culprit? I'm certainly no expert at either networking or Anti-virus engines, but I can speak on our "virus killer" app clogging our file clusters and app servers at work. On multiple systems we've had to add exclusions based on performance either to the app/server/or general functionality of access to the box.

I must say I do have avast add-in on the server. I will try to disable it and test again. But I will also check the line speed with another box tonight just to make sure its not a bad cat6,even though i have full speed links.

I will also check the few EARS drive to make sure that a jumper didn't fall off or something. FYI during the transfer the resource manager was fine from a CPU level and only 8% on the network.