RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Booting fom SSD in ODD via grub.

paradox

I don't remember the thread I found the original info in and since cleared my history..

Long story short if you are using AHCI RAID you need to use GRUB on the internal SD/USB first and then boot into the drive containing the OS you want (My condition TrueNAS).

So the system boots from SD, loads GRUB;

6Wmy3UP.png (653×935)

I select boot manually, then chainload, then select HDD5 which corresponds to the ODD (1-4 at the drives in the main compartment.)

I need to do this every time my server restarts, which so far hasn't been much trouble, but i'm starting to think about what if I'm not nearby or unable to open an iLO connection to it, surely I can tell the GRUB loader on the SD card to just do the options I do, but automatically?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

I also took the 4x M92 2TBs I had in my system out and put them in an external cage, so I have a spare schoondoggy bracket (UK) if anyone is interested. Strangely after doing that I kept getting messages in my TrueNAS console about the CPU overheating which I have never gotten before.. might be time to do a re-seat of the cooler/fan with new paste.

• 3 weeks later...

You can edit  

/mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

or

/mnt/boot/grub2/grub.cfg

like this

set timeout=5

menuentry "Windows 10" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        insmod ntldr
        search --fs-uuid --set=root 2ABF87DC395CFC02
        ntldr /bootmgr
}

2ABF87DC395CFC02 is the bootable disk UUID, you can use lsblk or grub-probe find your own.

example from wzyboy’s blog

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:30 PM, paradox said:

I don't remember the thread I found the original info in and since cleared my history..

Long story short if you are using AHCI RAID you need to use GRUB on the internal SD/USB first and then boot into the drive containing the OS you want (My condition TrueNAS).

So the system boots from SD, loads GRUB;

6Wmy3UP.png (653×935)

I select boot manually, then chainload, then select HDD5 which corresponds to the ODD (1-4 at the drives in the main compartment.)

I need to do this every time my server restarts, which so far hasn't been much trouble, but i'm starting to think about what if I'm not nearby or unable to open an iLO connection to it, surely I can tell the GRUB loader on the SD card to just do the options I do, but automatically?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

I also took the 4x M92 2TBs I had in my system out and put them in an external cage, so I have a spare schoondoggy bracket (UK) if anyone is interested. Strangely after doing that I kept getting messages in my TrueNAS console about the CPU overheating which I have never gotten before.. might be time to do a re-seat of the cooler/fan with new paste.

How do you get that orange GNU GRUB screen? Whenever I have used GRUB in an OS install it hasn’t looked like that!

…and do you have pics of the schoondoggy bracket?

I just flashed GRUB to SD card, set the Gen8 to boot from internal SD/USB, and that's what comes up. Then I go >manual > chain load > select HDD5. 

It seems you can modify it to auto-selection certain things when booting but it requires linux to edit the grub config or something, I'm not gonna bother for a while because I'm setting up a Gen10+ tomorrow and will have to do it the same way with that, I'll post how to / the config file for anyone when I figure it all out.

7 hours ago, E3000 said:

Is it the v2? v3? 

Not sure and can't find it right now, are you interested in buying it because I can dig it out.

14 hours ago, paradox said:

Not sure and can't find it right now, are you interested in buying it because I can dig it out.

I am but I will need to know more…

On 12/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, E3000 said:

Is it the v2? v3? 

On 12/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, paradox said:

It seems I have both versions:

aYsxap2.jpg

The one on the left is a V3 and I think the one on the right is a V2.