RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can one WHS backup another WHS ?

TomW

Sorry if this is already answered in the Forums.

Can I use a second WHS to backup my primary WHS?

I know there are tools that I could manually backup my primary WHS but then I would need to remember to do it. I believe that having backups automated is the only sure way to make sure it happens. One of the reasons for the WHS in the first place.

Right now I am just talking about V1. I would use a seperate piece of hardware, especially after hearing Dave talk about "worm hole" experiment of having the second WHS running on the same hardware has the first.

I do duplicate most of my shared folders but I think the backup will only have one copy of the data since the data blocks will be the same. Plus the second WHS can be a small system since it's only purpose is to backup one server.

What do people think? Is this crazy, over kill, a good idea, ...

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

/Tom

NT Backup running as a scheduled task will suit you just fine. Or, you could use the second box with a (thinking as I write) Shadow Copy. You could enable Shadow Copies on the primary box and use the storage set on the second as the location and forget the backups, or use a combination of the two.

I too have thought about using this. I so not think using a second V1 box to backup another V1 box will work .....but then again, the only way to know is to test.