RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming Solution?

DesertServer

So I completed my build of a new home server. I'm running win2k8 r2 64 enterprise. I want to stream my media collection to the other pc's, 3 of them, and xbox 360. I have a HTPC hooked up to projector that works ok, but it stutters occasionally on hd mkv's. It's rather low spec and quiet.. I can't run windows media center on 2k8 r2, nor do I really love the speed/power of this software. I want a backend solution anyway no need for anything more.

I've played with Tversity and have fuppes running on freenas server, I like fuppes but I can't figure out some of the cryptic linux stuff. I also thought about running a virtualized host os to accomplish this but VM doesn's support 2+gig gpt drives.. I need to transcode mkv's 1080p in realtime. I can do it with the hardware I just need a good software solution.

I'm looking for ideas so lets hear them! Thanks!

Trent

So I understand, lets define streaming. I am also running 2008R2 and it really does make a great backend "assuming" all you want to do is stream which is how I use mine. I can stream 5 independant blu ray stream at the same time with no stuttering at all. Are you looking for something that will transcode (which I would not recommend) or do you want smoother HD playback at the PC level. Server 2008 is a file server and does it very well but it does not have much in the way of trancoding. The ideal solutiuon for that many PCs, is to serve the files using your 2008 native, then make sure that your clients are capable of the playback you want to do. For example, if you want to play BD, make sure you have something like TMT on each client or if you paly MKV, make sure that VLC is on each you computer. This way you will get max resolotiuon and quality from each stream IF you try and decode and stream you will have some challenges ahead of you as most streamers/decoders are pretty lousy. Not sure if I addressed your question however if you could expand on your use case, maybe we can narrow down some options.

Thanks

Thanks for the response!

I think I have two main issues.

1. HTPC I have connected to my projector is low power/low spec. It can play 1080p mkv's with vlc but it struggles on some scenes. My server is a x3440 w 8g ram and raid 5 hardware array. It should be able to process anything I can think to throw at it. ie transcode 1080p on the fly. I think i'm mixing terminology here (streaming and transcoding). I want to offload the work of processing the mkv/avi/mp4 etc to server. Can I do this?

2. Xbox 360 only accepts video in certain wrapper. I need to either transcode or run some batch/script on my entire media collection to get it into something that can be natively played on 360.

Is there a single solution to these? This doesn't seem like a crazy idea but maybe it is..

Trent

• 2 weeks later...
Guest no-control

I'm going to take a crack at this but I'm not sure what you want. I have a very similar set up WS2KR2. I run VM's of WHS (storage) & WMC(recording). Reference this build.

I use WMC in a VM to record OTA TV

I use MKV for my DVD/BD rips

Ok with that out of the way.....

So I completed my build of a new home server. I'm running win2k8 r2 64 enterprise. I want to stream my media collection to the other pc's, 3 of them, and xbox 360. I have a HTPC hooked up to projector that works ok, but it stutters occasionally on hd mkv's. It's rather low spec and quiet.. I can't run windows media center on 2k8 r2, nor do I really love the speed/power of this software. I want a backend solution anyway no need for anything more.

Sounds to me like your HTPC isn't up to the task. I have an i3/H55 (ref again) setup and stream my movies using WMC natively. No need for VLC really. I just added Haali. No issues with HD playback.

I've played with Tversity and have fuppes running on freenas server, I like fuppes but I can't figure out some of the cryptic linux stuff. I also thought about running a virtualized host os to accomplish this but VM doesn's support 2+gig gpt drives.. I need to transcode mkv's 1080p in realtime. I can do it with the hardware I just need a good software solution.

The Xeon x3440 is a sweet chip I had it in my server before I downsized. It shouldn't have any issue decoding on the fly. Not sure why theres an issue with 3TB drives you didn't list them as part of your build ???? Still not sure what it is you want to virtualize. I would say just use the storage disks in 08R2. Have the media center point to the share and your fine. If you want a 360, point it to either a your HTPC or WMC VM.

You do realize the 08R2 can hold the role of a Media Server right?

You do realize the 08R2 can hold the role of a Media Server right?

Thanks for keeping this alive!

So I've played with Media Server (2008 R2) a little bit. Maybe this is the way I should go.. What is involved with setting this up? How do you configure it? Do you have a link to a wiki or a blog post?

Thanks!

Trent