RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Un"building a RAID array

Neophyte

As everyone is discussing, there are many ways to build an array: software (OS), motherboard controller, controller card. Now there is talk of some third party options like StableBit, Drive Bender, and DataCore virtualization for WHS2011.

If you build a 6T (4T usable) RAID5 with 3 2T drives by any of these options, and add production data to it, can this array be unbuilt to utilize another option without losing your data? Or do you need a backup of this array (4T) to restore from?

You need to backup & restore from it. If you break the array you'll lose all your data once the second disk comes out.

Thanks,

So if you have 4T of data, then it becomes difficult to backup, right? Because of the limitation of only being able to backup 2T at a time?

The limitation is based upon a 2TB limitation for VHD images so in short, yes, however you could still carve up the 6TB (4TB usable) array into two 2TB partitions and still backup those.

Basically jmwills is correct however in my case I created the array not just for protection but for volume size as well. I have one array that is 8T and I would not want to chop it into 4x2. The volume size is important to me so I could have one movie volume. I do not plan on backikng up my raid 5 array as that is only for video content. All critical data such as photos and documents will go on a tradititional drive with a backup.

Basically jmwills is correct however in my case I created the array not just for protection but for volume size as well. I have one array that is 8T and I would not want to chop it into 4x2. The volume size is important to me so I could have one movie volume. I do not plan on backikng up my raid 5 array as that is only for video content. All critical data such as photos and documents will go on a tradititional drive with a backup.

Mike,

This is exactly what I want to do...I'm not concerned about the movies as much as my photos...they can't be replaced and must be backed up.

I'll repeat what I said a few days ago...WHS is no longer a "one size fits all" solution. There will have to be a lot of pre=planning prior to a build.

I'll repeat what I said a few days ago...WHS is no longer a "one size fits all" solution. There will have to be a lot of pre=planning prior to a build.

You got that right, I would go further and say that WHS as a product right now seems like a deer caught in headlights, it is not a "home server" at least for many current users. Hopefully OEMS will offer enough options (ie: different size arrays, drobo whatever) to make people comfortable to use it and keep the platform alive.

To the OP, your best bet if you want the DE add on is probably mirroring the drives / data you want to protect using Windows Storage Manager until you are sure if you want use an add-in or not which I would estimate will be a very long time because the tech will need this time to prove itself stable.

As everyone is discussing, there are many ways to build an array: software (OS), motherboard controller, controller card. Now there is talk of some third party options like StableBit, Drive Bender, and DataCore virtualization for WHS2011.

If you build a 6T (4T usable) RAID5 with 3 2T drives by any of these options, and add production data to it, can this array be unbuilt to utilize another option without losing your data? Or do you need a backup of this array (4T) to restore from?

I'm honestly a little confused by the question. First you talk about DE replacements, then you ask "If you build a 6T (4T usable) RAID5 with 3 2T drives by any of these options". By "any of these options" are you talking about using one of the DE replacements with RAID5? If so, why would you want to do that? If it's truly a DE replacement wouldn't you just use it like we use DE today?

Just wondering....

You got that right, I would go further and say that WHS as a product right now seems like a deer caught in headlights, it is not a "home server" at least for many current users. Hopefully OEMS will offer enough options (ie: different size arrays, drobo whatever) to make people comfortable to use it and keep the platform alive.

To the OP, your best bet if you want the DE add on is probably mirroring the drives / data you want to protect using Windows Storage Manager until you are sure if you want use an add-in or not which I would estimate will be a very long time because the tech will need this time to prove itself stable.

Yes, from what everyone is saying about RAID5, it is not easy to transfer between methods. Thanks for your input. I will most likely go the hardware RAID route for my videos and mirror everything else.

On a completely unrelated topic, I just watched your Wings beat my Wild 2-1 in OT. We still can't compete with the upper echelon teams. Maybe someday. Congrats.