RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SabatonFan80

WHSv1 - 2TB available, but no Free Space

SabatonFan80

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my WHSv1 server and am copying my files from the old server onto the new one.

I've got close to two terabytes of free space available on the new one (roughly 4.5TB total) on at least two physical drives (I had about 500G on an existing drive, and added another 1.5TB last night), but I'm getting lack of free space errors when I try to copy files.

This has been happening for the last couple of days, and the storage has rebalanced a couple of times since I started getting the free space errors.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on, and how I might be able to remedy it?

usacomp2k3

You're on Power Pack 3?

ikon

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my WHSv1 server and am copying my files from the old server onto the new one.

I've got close to two terabytes of free space available on the new one (roughly 4.5TB total) on at least two physical drives (I had about 500G on an existing drive, and added another 1.5TB last night), but I'm getting lack of free space errors when I try to copy files.

This has been happening for the last couple of days, and the storage has rebalanced a couple of times since I started getting the free space errors.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on, and how I might be able to remedy it?

You are copying to the network share on the new server, right?, not 'pulling' the data from the old server to D: drive?

SabatonFan80

You're on Power Pack 3?

Yes. It's fully up to date.

jmwills

What method are you using to copy?

SabatonFan80

What method are you using to copy?

Manual for now. From Windows Explorer on the old homeserver instance or on the new one.

jmwills

Copy and paste can literally bog down a system with that much data. Might I suggest you try either RoboCopy or Richcopy. RichCopy has an easy to use GUI and should suit you just fine.

SabatonFan80

Copy and paste can literally bog down a system with that much data. Might I suggest you try either RoboCopy or Richcopy. RichCopy has an easy to use GUI and should suit you just fine.

I've tried both of those in the past and found neither to be as reliable as I'd like. I've copied close to 1.5TB this way so I'm fairly confident the method of copying isn't the problem.

jmwills

Two things would help to troubleshoot this issue:

1) A look into the Event Viewer just after a failure

2) A screenshot of your disk management console.

Edited by jmwills

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Two things would help to troubleshoot this issue:

1) A loon into the Event Viewer just after a failure

2) A screenshot of your disk management console.

I am confident a loon will not help at all. :D

Sorry, I just had to do it.