RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

pc lockup when backup starts

RobWu

HI,

Anyone seen this before?
When a backup starts on the PC, it almost immediately locks up, and has to be forced for a reboot.
When running audio/music on the PC when the backup starts, the audio stutters a bit just before the lockup.

It's a fairly recent W10 installation, and has run flawlessly so far up till the end of last week. No big W10 updates in the meantime.

In the Event Viewer there's no real culprit showing, besides the often cryptic 0x..... errors that go nowhere on a Google search.

All tips are appreciated to hunt this down, as it is annoying to suddenly have a dead PC because the service was running again..

rob

What are you backing up to?

What back up software are you using?

Need a bit more detail tbh...

Maybe try reinstalling the Connector agent on the affected client?

I don't think they've updated the Connector software in years. Any of the recent Windows updates either on the client or server side could've broken it.

Ahh missed where this topic was, yeah, try and reinstall the connector, used to do the trick when backup related things went sideways..

Hi all,

Thanks for the speedy replies.

This morning I had the (late) idea to run a diskcheck first, to see if something on disk would throw a fit.
And low and behold, a datablock was misbehaving. After a scheduled checkdisk and reboot I tried a backup again.
This time without any problems.

So no software issue this time, but hardware related. The backup tool seems to hit the HD hard and can cause a full lockup of the PC.

cheers, and hope this will help somebody else as well,

rob

p.s. will keep an eye on the HD to see if it is failing me....

Edited by RobWu

It seems the OS disk has issues, even with Stablebit's scanner it locked up. The scanner software also detected a potential SMART issue with one of the other disks in the pc.
Just to be sure, I ordered two new disks and replacing them asap.
Oh.. Also bought the scanner software. ;)

Edited by RobWu

Hope you followed Daves link ;)

tbh its pretty useful software, I have it on my server at home as well as 2 other servers that I look after for friends, Scanner and DrivePool are rather useful in the Windows based home server space.

Another HDD/SSD tool that I find indispensable is Hard Disk Sentinel. They're probably still offering a free trial that you can use to diagnose what's wrong with the drive.

Reading a hard disk's SMART parameters can be confusing and HD Sentinel does a good job interpreting them to something that normal humans can understand.

Edited by oj88