RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PERC H330 or HBA330 for non-raid setup

kylejwx

I'm looking at a Dell PowerEdge R340. I'll just have 2 SSDs using Storage Spaces so I don't need hardware RAID. Even if I get the PERC H330 I'd use it in non-raid mode.

Is there any advantage to using the regular HBA in this situation? Perhaps it's faster because it's just a direct connection without thinking about the raid card being there?

Well. I haven’t looked into the details, but i’m

pretty sure the onboard controller is just fine.

The benefits you get from a hardware controller is related to RAID, but since you won’t be using RAID I’d go with the onboard controller.

Onboard is SATA3 as well.

Passthrough on the PERC H330 is supposed to be the same performance as the HBA330. They use the same controller chip. Some OS's expect an HBA and don't like RAID cards even when they are set to passthrough. Storage Spaces should be fine with either. With the current chip shortages you may need to take what ever you can get.

Not sure if they are shipping yet, but you could look at the R350. Availability on PERC and HBA for the new 15G may be better from what I am being told.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. The R340 was cheaper than the R350 so I went that route. I ended up going with the PERC H330. Shipping times were faster when configured that way. I should get it in early December.