RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Yet another DE Replacement Candidate

jmwills

I was so disappointed when MS removed, imho, the number one feature of WHS. Without that, I might as well, make a Vista, or Win. 7 box, and share it's folders on the network.

With 3 companies now entering the race to fill this gap, I now sense a glimmer of hope at the end of this foreboding tunnel.

I was so disappointed when MS removed, imho, the number one feature of WHS. Without that, I might as well, make a Vista, or Win. 7 box, and share it's folders on the network.

With 3 companies now entering the race to fill this gap, I now sense a glimmer of hope at the end of this foreboding tunnel.

For me the #1 feature was and is desktop computer backup and bare-metal restore. Drive-pooling in DE was my 2nd most fave feature. I don't care about folder duplication.

to be honest, this one doesn't sound as interesting as DriveBender, which I feel is the most versatile so far.

No, I think this one is it. They are porting a solution that works in enterprise SAN's to WHS2011 and SBS2011. I am really impressed by their capability.

Jim

For me the #1 feature was and is desktop computer backup and bare-metal restore. Drive-pooling in DE was my 2nd most fave feature. I don't care about folder duplication.

This was actually my reason for building the server in the first place...I did lose a hard drive prior to WHS and thankfully my brother-in-law was able to recover the photographs on the hard drive...the only loss apparently was the file names. That was quite a few years ago. I like the ability to have my photographs and music on the server and have them duplicated as well as backed up off property.

Later on I because very pleased with the ability to store my DVDs after my son damaged a couple...now I know I always have a good copy of the disk and can use MyMovies to stream the video. Not so sure if I really need the DE...as long as I can back everything up I should be fine.

I think we are on the same wavelength Jedi. Having said that I need to get 124 published. Lot's of good talk in there about the DE replacements. We didn't get a chance to cover DataCore as that news surfaced today. DataCore has some history guys. Does that make you feel better than the other add-in based solutions? Looks like they will first attempt solutions through OEM's so that makes me wonder how long we will have to wait to see something.

I think we are on the same wavelength Jedi. Having said that I need to get 124 published. Lot's of good talk in there about the DE replacements. We didn't get a chance to cover DataCore as that news surfaced today. DataCore has some history guys. Does that make you feel better than the other add-in based solutions? Looks like they will first attempt solutions through OEM's so that makes me wonder how long we will have to wait to see something.

A track record is a definite plus, but I'm very intrigued by what DriveBender is promising, especially something that can be used in most versions of windows; that's pretty unique I think. Course, if DataCore produces something with performance that blows the others out of the server so to speak, that would be something else.