RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing OS on ODD drive (non SSD) and issue with P222 Smart Array

koppa

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Gen 8 Microserver with plans to install OMV.

I did a bit of reading prior (and having also got a N54L) picked up a P222 Smart Array Raid card so I could also use RAID 5 on my 4 x 8Tb WD Red Plus drives.

I also had lying around an old 2.5" 160Gb WD Blue drive which I was going to use for the OS.

All the extra parts and cables have been installed (power from FDD to SATA for the HDD) and everything appeared ok.

I have configured the 160Gb drive as Raid 0 in SSA on the B120i internal controller.  However when I attempt to install OMV, it comes up with an error message when installing the files onto this drive.

Is it possible to install an OS onto the ODD drive and boot from it.  I have read elsewhere that I may need to use either a USB or microSD card as the boot device.

Does this drive need to be a SSD?

Since I have plugged the SAS cable into the P222 card, I was able to configure the drives in RAID 5, however, I am now getting a error under iLO saying System Health Degraded.

Upon further investigation, it appears to be from the P222 card, getting Error 1797 - Slot 1 Drive Array - Write-Back Cache Backup Previously failed, caching is disabled at startup.

When I open the SSA application, there is a Warning - 823 - The cache for Smart Array P222 in Slot 1 has been disabled because the backup operation failed.

I am unsure what could be causing this as the card has the cache and battery (both being detected).  I have tried removing the cache and reinstalling it but didn't make a difference.

Is this a hardware issue?  I only just purchased the card so will contact the seller to advise of a faulty card.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 hours ago, koppa said:

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Gen 8 Microserver with plans to install OMV.

I did a bit of reading prior (and having also got a N54L) picked up a P222 Smart Array Raid card so I could also use RAID 5 on my 4 x 8Tb WD Red Plus drives.

I also had lying around an old 2.5" 160Gb WD Blue drive which I was going to use for the OS.

All the extra parts and cables have been installed (power from FDD to SATA for the HDD) and everything appeared ok.

I have configured the 160Gb drive as Raid 0 in SSA on the B120i internal controller.  However when I attempt to install OMV, it comes up with an error message when installing the files onto this drive.

Is it possible to install an OS onto the ODD drive and boot from it.  I have read elsewhere that I may need to use either a USB or microSD card as the boot device.

Does this drive need to be a SSD?

Since I have plugged the SAS cable into the P222 card, I was able to configure the drives in RAID 5, however, I am now getting a error under iLO saying System Health Degraded.

Upon further investigation, it appears to be from the P222 card, getting Error 1797 - Slot 1 Drive Array - Write-Back Cache Backup Previously failed, caching is disabled at startup.

When I open the SSA application, there is a Warning - 823 - The cache for Smart Array P222 in Slot 1 has been disabled because the backup operation failed.

I am unsure what could be causing this as the card has the cache and battery (both being detected).  I have tried removing the cache and reinstalling it but didn't make a difference.

Is this a hardware issue?  I only just purchased the card so will contact the seller to advise of a faulty card.

Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have not played with OMV for a long time, but the last time I did I do not think there was driver support for the B120i or P222. Most Linux based systems like OMV and FreeNAS do not like RAID controllers. They tend to recommend software RAID. It is generally recommended to use AHCI on a HBA. The last time I played with OMV I installed a HP LSI based HBA to connect to the four front drive bays. I connected a SFF-8087 fan out cable to the SATA controller on the motherbord and set it to AHCI. I connected the OS drive to SATA1 from the onboard controller.

1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

have not played with OMV for a long time, but the last time I did I do not think there was driver support for the B120i or P222. Most Linux based systems like OMV and FreeNAS do not like RAID controllers. They tend to recommend software RAID. It is generally recommended to use AHCI on a HBA. The last time I played with OMV I installed a HP LSI based HBA to connect to the four front drive bays. I connected a SFF-8087 fan out cable to the SATA controller on the motherbord and set it to AHCI. I connected the OS drive to SATA1 from the onboard controller.

Thanks schoondoogy

I updated the B120i to AHCI and OMV was able to install no problems at all.

One problem down, one to go :)

The RAID 5 setup is also able to be seen in OMV, and now going through the process of formatting it to EXT4.

Should I be worried about the raid controller error?

What RAID controller error are you talking about?

Are you using software RAID in OMV or hardware RAID in the P222?

8 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

What RAID controller error are you talking about?

Are you using software RAID in OMV or hardware RAID in the P222?

I am using hardware raid with the P222.

The RAID controller has created RAID 5 with the 4 x 8Tb drives.  The 24 (21.8Tb) is accessible and I'm able to write to it.

My concern is the degraded error which appears in iLO and the errors presented:

Startup - Error 1797 - Slot 1 Drive Array - Write-Back Cache Backup Previously failed, caching is disabled at startup.

SSA application - 823 - The cache for Smart Array P222 in Slot 1 has been disabled because the backup operation failed.

Would those be a hardware issue or something I may have done incorrectly?

2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

That was one of my thoughts as well, except from what I can tell on the attached, the battery appears to be functional.

I'm assuming there is a hardware fault with the card.  Will get in touch with the ebay seller and request a replacement/refund

Smart Array P222-1.jpg

Smart Array P222-2.jpg