RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for recommendations on wired keyboard and mouse

Rodf

I've been struggling with wireless keyboard and mice for my work laptop. I had a inexpensive Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, with a dongle. However. it would frequently freeze my work Windows laptop, requiring me to power down the laptop. I could her things, see actions in windows, etc., but that was it. The mouse and keyboard were completely useless. On a good day it would do this 4 times before lunch and the same after lunch. 

So, I went to Best Buy (the only PC/electronic store anywhere near me), to talk to them about this problem. They recommended I get Microsoft's Wireless Comfort Keyboard and Mouse 5050, because it came with a dongle that was more secure. So, with high hopes I bought it. I've been using it for 3 weeks. It is better, but it still suffers from locking up the mouse and keyboard, again requiring me to power down the laptop. It seems to happen at least once a day, sometimes up to 3 times a day.

I'm tired of this. I'm working. I can't have my keyboard and mouse locking up on me during programming sessions, diagnosing problems with a user, during Zoom meetings, etc. So, now I'm thinking just dropping the whole wireless thing. Go with a wired keyboard and mouse. The work laptop (an older HP EliteBook) has a docking station with 3 USB ports, so I should be good.

I tried to find a good wired keyboard and mouse. It's harder than you think. I went to Best Buy's website, typed in "wired keyboard and mouse". It generates several pages of just mice. Huh? Then after a while I'll see a wireless keyboard thrown in. I went to Amazon's website and it behaved in much the same way as Best Buy's website did.

I went to CNET and Tom's Hardware websites, to try and reviews. It seems like both want to ignore the "wired" part of this, because both gave me LOTS of results for keyboards and mice. There must be a unique branded keyboard and mouse for every human currently alive, with a few billion thrown in for extra measure. It's overwhelming.

(I think I ran out of the maximum number of characters for a post.)

So, I thought I'd ask you all for recommendations on wired keyboards and mice. I don't want the entry level models, but would rather not pay  $100 for a wired keyboard and mouse. Preferably, I'd like the keyboard to be ergonomic, but will settle for a good gaming keyboard if its light to the touch. (i.e.: I don't want to feel like I'm pounding concrete in order to type with it.)

It's not your fault you're not able to find corded keyboard and mouse combos.... the Best Buy search engine is next to useless.

Instead, use Google to look for what you want then add "site:bestbuy.com". So, to look for corded keyboards, type the following search string (or just click the link below):

corded keyboard site:bestbuy.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=corded+keyboard+site%3Abestbuy.com&oq=corded+keyboard+site%3Abestbuy.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.6263j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by oj88
  • Like 1

I had  a thought that might be a cause of my problem with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm cramped for space in my home. I've got a headless desktop, behind my work laptop. The dongle for the keyboard and mouse is less than 2 inches from the headless PC. Could the headless PC be generating interference to the dongle?

9 hours ago, Rodf said:

I had  a thought that might be a cause of my problem with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm cramped for space in my home. I've got a headless desktop, behind my work laptop. The dongle for the keyboard and mouse is less than 2 inches from the headless PC. Could the headless PC be generating interference to the dongle?

I don't see how those headless units can be the cause of it. Granted, all electronics generate interference one way or another, but they're typically not powerful enough to affect wireless keyboards and mice. Have you tried using your laptop with the wireless input devices in another room or away from the nearest potential source for interference?

This may be way out there but, do you live near an RF transmitter (TV, radio, microwave communications, radar installation, ham radio operator, etc.)?

I do have a another theory, though. It could be something to do with the PC the dongle is being used on. It could either be a hardware (USB) issue or a driver issue. The only way to isolate that is to try the dongle on another PC/laptop and see if the problem persists.

Edited by oj88