RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen 8 Microserver + RAID 6 P420, Degraded mode, 2 disks fail from 4

Cris

Hi everyone

I have HP gen 8 Microserver + RAID 6 in the controller p420. The problem is after 1 year, now, I have degraded RAID. I bought brand new WD RED 4TB, 4700 hours after 1 year.  Since four days , controller see only 2 from 4 disks. I don't now what goes wrong. It's strange because this WD in some disk programs likes good condition...It's very important to not lose data on this disks.

See some screen from this:

https://ibb.co/mFWfyzT

https://ibb.co/3SBW9pg

841585741_Zrzutekranu2021-10-07092310.png.b1dec20446e9efafd16e2a1451564aad.png592013058_WhatsAppImage2021-10-07at08_48_39.thumb.jpeg.528a6a86f1509b59be0eef056b21017b.jpeg

202452553_Zrzutekranu2021-10-07090812.png.a72ada044798ad1e62b0510147158674.png

Thanks for replay

Edited by Cris
image file

I would also check the cable connection at the P420, remove it and plug it in again to be sure there is a good connection.

Also check the power connections to those two bays. 

Hi,

when I change connection between P420 and stock B120i, hp see 4 discs, so I thing connection is fine. I change P420 to another ( with the same memory + battery) card of this same controller, and problem was exactly the same. When I buy 2 brand new disks, the raid will be rebuild after I put this in bays? Second subject, do you have some utilities to make copy of Raid ?

Just to be clear, I am sharing ideas for you to try. These are things that I would try if I were in your position. There are many things that could go wrong and cause you to not be able to recover your RAID set. It is not my fault if you lose your data.

It is possible that the two drives are functional. It is likely that for some reason the P420 has marked them as failed. When you tried the other P420 it picked up the degraded RAID set and found the drives marked as failed as well. I do not have a system running an HPE Smart Array controller currently, but if I remember correctly, using SSA you could attempt to bring a failed drives back online. From the SSA console and specifically the failed drives look to see if there is a way to re-enable them or bring them back online.

Because you are running RAID 6 which can handle two drive failures without losing data, you should be able to replace the two failed drives and start a rebuild per the process in the user guide. The rebuild process is a real workout on drives and it is possible to lose another drive during rebuild. If you lose another drive you will lose data.

As to making a copy of the RAID, there is really not a way to do that. You could try making bit for bit copies, clones, of the two drives that are functional, but they may not work as the originals. 

You need to be very careful moving connections and changing controllers as this could disrupt the degraded RAID set.

I would start with a deep dive in SSA to see if the failed drives can be brought back online. If that is not possible I would try to rebuild the array with two new drives. If you have not done so already I would post this issue in the HPE forums to see if someone with more HPE Smart Array controller expertise can help you.

Posted (edited)

Hi

thanks for your replay. I make as you wrote. Change defect bays to brand new. The Raid was rebuild. But for now I can't run OS(Server 2016) on this, It seems that RAID 6 was rebuilt but lost most of data, is that possible? All the time same message "disk error occurred", rebuild mbr in command line makes nothing. Windows partitions on my Raid seems to be correct, but looks like some data lost. So I have to data recovery left?

Zrzut ekranu 2021-10-08 204304.png

Zrzut ekranu 2021-10-09 165920.png

Zrzut ekranu 2021-10-09 171010.png

Edited by Cris

already have no ideas for solving this problem :( 100% rebuild of this Raid and no happy end. Some recovery programs see some files, disks aren't empty...

Zrzut ekranu 2021-10-09 182221.png

Do you have your OS, server 2016, running on Logical Drive 01 on the array?

Your screen shots show the RAID6 is still rebuilding. Has it finished rebuilding?

You may need to reinstall Server 2016 to get it to work. If your data is stored in Logical Drive 02, reinstalling the OS should not effect your data. 

If you rebuild this system to use in the future, I would not make the OS drive part of the RAID6.

It makes it difficult to recover. You could put two small SSD or drives in a RAID1 for the OS in the ODD bay, connected to the B120i or the second port on the P420.