RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Different Spin on Raid Setup for Movies/Home Video's

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So you spent $350 for an additional 3TB? You could have bought 2 2TB drives for $120 each and had an extra TB of space while spending $100 less. Keeping drives you already own is almost always cheaper than having to replace them, unless you have a limitation on the number of drive bays.

So you spent $350 for an additional 3TB? You could have bought 2 2TB drives for $120 each and had an extra TB of space while spending $100 less. Keeping drives you already own is almost always cheaper than having to replace them, unless you have a limitation on the number of drive bays.

That is the reason I will probably build a new server...not enough SATA ports. And that is with using an IDE DVD drive.

So you spent $350 for an additional 3TB?

This reminds me when I was younger, and I was buying 512K memory modules for my PC. I eventually ran out of memory slots, and had to start ditching modules so that I could get the larger 1MB modules. All of a sudden, it got a lot more expensive to net 512K more memory...

Personally, with all this talk of RAID and the interesting setups people are coming up with for their V2 boxes, I'm anxious to start seeing the posts associated with users trying to recover from a drive failure. This, I think, will start to show that simpler, 4 or 5 drive setups will outshine the complex 8-10 drive configurations people are coming up with. The promise of V1 was that I could use any mix of drives that I had laying around. That promise is now gone in V2.

This reminds me when I was younger, and I was buying 512K memory modules for my PC. I eventually ran out of memory slots, and had to start ditching modules so that I could get the larger 1MB modules. All of a sudden, it got a lot more expensive to net 512K more memory...

Personally, with all this talk of RAID and the interesting setups people are coming up with for their V2 boxes, I'm anxious to start seeing the posts associated with users trying to recover from a drive failure. This, I think, will start to show that simpler, 4 or 5 drive setups will outshine the complex 8-10 drive configurations people are coming up with. The promise of V1 was that I could use any mix of drives that I had laying around. That promise is now gone in V2.

I am hoping to possibly utilize a RAID controller that pcdoc reviewed and talked about on the BYOB podcast. My only concern is the TB of video data I will have and I don't know if I will be hampered by the folders while using MyMovies. They have not commented on the issues to date...maybe I'm worried about nothing.

Everyone is different on how they approach it. New drives, less power, an enthusiasts need to tinker satisfied. I can see it. But I understand that you two have to disagree. Just be nice!

Guest no-control

While I realize not everyone is willing to spend the same amount of money on such a trivial upgrade. It was more the spirit of my post (lost apparently) that was the point. Selling old gear helps to ease the cost of upgrading. That may not be for you but it may work for others.

Since were keeping it technical....In the context of the timeframe. Early last year 2TB drives were not $120 and I had plenty of space on the backplane, but I really didn't want to keep the big ass Norco server howling away in the house anymore.

Edited by no-control

If I understand the OP, I can see the benefit in building a BA* HTPC with a RAID5 to hold all the video files, and a smaller, very low power (i.e. my Atom with 2 GB RAM) WHS2011 for the other data and backups. The other data, if streamed (i.e. photos and music) aren't nearly as bit-rate intensive or take up as much space. The PC backups obviously don't need the speed. And it would make it more viable to keep the WHS2011 drives to 2TB or less each to support built-in backup. For those of us that have 6+TB servers, I'd venture to say a LARGE majority of that data is video.

Also, as mentioned, the HTPC already has the software needed to both process and server the videos, something WHS2011 still doesn't completely do.

One drawback is, at least in my experimenting, WHS2011 can't stream networked files over the Internet using Silverlight. So if you have any desire or intent on accessing those videos via web from PC, cell phone, iPad, etc, it ain't gonna happen if they're all sitting on said BA* HTPC.

*Big-A$$