RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Different Spin on Raid Setup for Movies/Home Video's

ImTheTypeOfGuy

There ha been a lot of discussion about putting Raid in v2 in order to have all of your movies and/or home video's on one drive instead of spread out over multiple drives. What about putting it on your desktop or your HTPC? Is there any reason it needs to be on the server? Will putting it on v2 make it able to serve your movies faster, more at the same time, etc? If you did have it on another computer, would v2 be able to back up the raid setup?

There ha been a lot of discussion about putting Raid in v2 in order to have all of your movies and/or home video's on one drive instead of spread out over multiple drives. What about putting it on your desktop or your HTPC? Is there any reason it needs to be on the server? Will putting it on v2 make it able to serve your movies faster, more at the same time, etc? If you did have it on another computer, would v2 be able to back up the raid setup?

I am currently using MyMovies for WHS with close to 4TB of movie data and I have not been putting all of my BluRay movies on the server due to storage limiatations. The reason I don't put the movies on the HTPC is that I stream the movies to 3 different TV's. If I had to put this on a HTPC I would need to put it on each of them...the WHS MyMovies has allowed me to consolidate all of the movies in one place with access to other areas.

I know MyMovies is going to have a new version for WHS 2011 but Brian isn't talking about it until it is RTM. For all I know the program will work with the basic structure of WHS 2011 with no issues. If that is the case I am fine.

You can still share the movies across all HTPC's using homegroup or the old way with setting up the drive to be shared. Of course homegroup is probably the easiest.

I've often thought of this since I have a dedicated machine for Media Center. It's also running all the other apps that support the house with media. Transcoders, EPG's, etc. This box has tons of room and the tuners are all HDHR. When do you stop though? Photos, Music, etc?

At what point are you in danger of causing stuttering and other streaming issues?

Technically you can raid anything but having WHS makes more sense in the grander scheme of things. You still have to address backups, data protection.

I've often thought of this since I have a dedicated machine for Media Center. It's also running all the other apps that support the house with media. Transcoders, EPG's, etc. This box has tons of room and the tuners are all HDHR. When do you stop though? Photos, Music, etc?

I would stop with just movies and homve video's. Not many of us, if any, have over 2 TB's of photo's or music, or anything else. For those, put them on v2.

Technically you can raid anything but having WHS makes more sense in the grander scheme of things. You still have to address backups, data protection.

V1, I agree, v2, not so much. Do you believe v2 makes more sense or where you talking about v1? If v2, why? YOu can backup the pc with the raid array. Given it is a raid array you also have protection; and backup, kind of.

Guest no-control

Microsoft has made it easy (smartly) to make any of their operating systems take the role of a file server. There is a reason to the 10 client limit of a workgroup, and why WHS only allows 10 pc if you didn't know. What you call a PC is usually related to it's role in the network. A headless pc that holds files in a closet is a home server. An HTPC is a front end to a media library. If it also stores the media on itself you got yourself a bonafide Media server. There is no reason you couldn't do it the way you're talking about. Just the same you can use a WHS box exactly the same way. This issue at hand is fault tolerance of that data. RAID is the only way to do that without a redundant server.

but to answer you last question. WHS2011 with RAID makes much more sense to me than WHS + DE ever did. Only reason for me to use WHS was the excellent client back up and restore feature. My Data drives have always been the same brand and size. I went from 500gb to all 1TB then to all 2TB. Just made more financial sense that way. Which is probably why I only WHS now in a VM for my client backups.

I went from 500gb to all 1TB then to all 2TB. Just made more financial sense that way.

It may make sense in some ways, but financial is not one of them.

Guest no-control

It may make sense in some ways, but financial is not one of them.

Then you're doing it wrong ;)

Use your old hardware and sell it to offset the cost of new hardware. Its the BYOB mantra. If you can time it right, it's pretty cheap actually. Last year I went from 5 1TB drives to 4 2TB drives for roughly $350