RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

p222 with not work on my microserver g8

gck303

I have a microserver g8 and a p222 card (without a memory card and flashed to the latest 8.32 firmware). 

I cannot get the card to show any disks in esxi 6.7.0. I can see the card, but I cannot get it to display any disks at all. 

What is going on?

Any clues of what I am doing wrong?

Why could it not be showing the disks?

When it boots it says "1803 cache module not installed". 

Does this mean even if I want to use it as a HBA I still need to have a cache fitted?

The HPE spec sheet says that this is the correct storage controller, though mine does have a different code on it (633537-001). 

>>>https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03793585&docLocale=en_US

>>>HPE Smart Array P222/512 FBWC 6Gb 1-port Int/1-port Ext SAS Controller 631667-B21

Edited by gck303

Thank you. I tried just with a few different versions and could not get the SSA iso to boot. 

I have now given up and decided to go down the brand-new SATA route with the onboard controller. 

To be honest, it was a bit of a toss up anyway:

- the controller uses up the single slot, which stops me from ever having 10Gbe networking

- I would need to use four 3TB SAS drives to give me 12TB. This means that I cannot ever have a flash only vSAN and expaning it would mean replacing those drives, or trying to get some more in

- the smaller disks and controller board use somewhat more energy and and give it out as heat, which I then need to use more energy to remove with the AC during the summer

Thanks for youe help. A great forum.