RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD - To hibernate or not to hibernate?

Jazman

Before you get too far, I'd make sure you have the latest firmare installed (I think 2.8???) Some of the Sandforce SSDs experienced issues when resuming from Standby that was fixed late last year.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jazman

• mrossco

• ikon

The latest version is 1.28 and it's at 1.23. I tried to upgrade the FW last night but it didn't take. Since you can't do the update on the boot drive and they only seem to support upgrading from Win 7, it's kind of a pain since I need to open a desktop to do it. I hope to work on this tonight...

Keith

The latest version is 1.28 and it's at 1.23. I tried to upgrade the FW last night but it didn't take. Since you can't do the update on the boot drive and they only seem to support upgrading from Win 7, it's kind of a pain since I need to open a desktop to do it. I hope to work on this tonight...

Keith

Time to get that drive attached to another Win7 box :D

Time to get that drive attached to another Win7 box :D

Gee THANKS!

Well, for some reason it says downloading and then firmware updated but it never reports the new version...

sigh...

Not sure what's going on there... OCZ-AGILITY2 on their website says 1.28 is latest but stuck at 1.23...

Another project for another time...

Had a similar issue with performing a secure erase on my Corsair Force. Went to my local Microcenter (love/hate) and picked up a Thermaltake HDD dock for about $30. It supports both eSATA and USB 2.0, so I was able to take care of everything with my laptop. It'll also reduce the need to crawl under my desk next time I have a firmware to flash...

BTW, I also wanted to give you a heads up on the Windows 7 Easy Transfer utility. It does a bit more than just copy personal files; It also captures settings, apps and drivers on you old PC and gives you a handy checklist on your new PC that will keep track of what you have left to install. Makes the process a lot easier as long as you're moving from Windows XP/Vista/7 to Windows 7.

Had a similar issue with performing a secure erase on my Corsair Force. Went to my local Microcenter (love/hate) and picked up a Thermaltake HDD dock for about $30. It supports both eSATA and USB 2.0, so I was able to take care of everything with my laptop. It'll also reduce the need to crawl under my desk next time I have a firmware to flash...

BTW, I also wanted to give you a heads up on the Windows 7 Easy Transfer utility. It does a bit more than just copy personal files; It also captures settings, apps and drivers on you old PC and gives you a handy checklist on your new PC that will keep track of what you have left to install. Makes the process a lot easier as long as you're moving from Windows XP/Vista/7 to Windows 7.

I've got a HDD adapter but didn't realize I might be able to flash firmware through a USB interface. I guess I just assumed (as an engineer, I should know better) that the interface would have to be native to flash firmware.

I'll look at Easy Transfer again and see what it offers...

Thanks,

Keith

I don't recall how this works. Does it save the information to another drive so that when your OS is operating on the new drive you can pull it back across?

Don't know where you are with this, but JediTim mentioned Acronis. I'll just add that Acronis lets you clone a larger drive to a smaller one, something that can't be done with WHS. I've done it on a couple of occasions and it works.

I just got an OCZ Agility 2 and put it in my netbook. Hibernate is a regular action I normally performed since it comes up just as I left it (ie: open windows, web pages, etc).

Any issues with hibernate and SSDs (ie: large file getting overwritten every time I hibernate, etc)?

Also, since it's the only drive in their, I can't relocate cache files, etc. Any special steps I should maybe take? I dug up BYOB episode 10 and re-listened to the recommendations as well as read Ed Bott's page...

Keith

There are no issues directly, but just remember that the hibernate file is large and it writes it to the SSD everytime. Not a real problem just a statement. I use it on my laptop but not my desktops.

I don't recall how this works. Does it save the information to another drive so that when your OS is operating on the new drive you can pull it back across?

Pretty much. You'll need external usb storage of some sort. When you run the Easy Transfer utility on the old OS, it will copy everything into a single file for you. Then, when you run the utility under the new OS, you point it to that file you had previously created and everything comes back over.