RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD - To hibernate or not to hibernate?

Jazman

I just got an OCZ Agility 2 and put it in my netbook. Hibernate is a regular action I normally performed since it comes up just as I left it (ie: open windows, web pages, etc).

Any issues with hibernate and SSDs (ie: large file getting overwritten every time I hibernate, etc)?

Also, since it's the only drive in their, I can't relocate cache files, etc. Any special steps I should maybe take? I dug up BYOB episode 10 and re-listened to the recommendations as well as read Ed Bott's page...

Keith

Edited by Jazman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jazman

• mrossco

• ikon

I just got an OCZ Agility 2 and put it in my netbook. Hibernate is a regular action I normally performed since it comes up just as I left it (ie: open windows, web pages, etc).

Any issues with hibernate and SSDs (ie: large file getting overwritten every time I hibernate, etc)?

Also, since it's the only drive in their, I can't relocate cache files, etc. Any special steps I should maybe take? I dug up BYOB episode 10 and re-listened to the recommendations as well as read Ed Bott's page...

Keith

I have SSD drives in my main PC / HTPC and laptop...never had an issue with hibernating. I'm not aware of any issues either.

FOLLOW-UP:

When I went back and listened to episode 10, a couple of the guys (can't remember which 2) mentioned that they "resurrected" old laptops by just adding a SSD but transferring from the old drive (as opposed to a clean install).

Well, I started this with a clean install and quickly realized that I just have too much going on right now to be able to take the time for that. The netbook is my main workhorse for day-to-day stuff. I don't have the time to chase down apps and stuff. Maybe in a couple months I'll go back and clean install it, but for now I'd like to see how much better it runs with a transfer.

So, how did you guys go about doing a transfer to the SSD? Homeserver recovery? An HD cloner type of utility? Some HD migration feature in Win 7 I'm not aware of?

Thanks again,

Keith

So, how did you guys go about doing a transfer to the SSD? Homeserver recovery? An HD cloner type of utility? Some HD migration feature in Win 7 I'm not aware of?

Have you looked at Windows 7 Easy Transfer?

Have you looked at Windows 7 Easy Transfer?

Transferring the data is easy as I'm pretty organized about where I put things. It's having to re-install all the apps, utilities, and whatever I may need. The biggest issue is forgetting something and then not having the internet connection or time to get it when I need to. Those are the fresh install type of things I may do in a month or so.

Edited by Jazman

I recently used Acronis to upgrade from a 60GB SSD to a 120GB SSD drive in my main pc. The transfer worked smoothly and if I remember didn't take too long either. I didn't lose any progams or settings either.

Ummmm....restored from a WHS backup?

That's how all 3 of us restore machines 95% of the time.

That's what I figured, but I've never actually USED that feature (I use it as file recovery and never really WANTED to do a system recovery until now), I wanted to make sure that's what you did.

Keith