RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

h.265 on the Gen8 with G1610T

Trig0r

So, many moons ago when I had my Gen 8 a pair of friends also decided they wanted a server at home to store stuff on and use as a Plex server...

However, h.265 has come along and now they're both struggling with playback of video files.

What's the best way to give the Gen8 a boost so it'll be happy with h.265...

Both servers are G1610T, ones got 6Gb RAM, the other 8Gb, both have SSD's as the boot drive, Windows 10, no other cards and just a few drives on Drivepool for storage.

So given I have a spare GT1030-LP laying around I could use that and Windows should use it to decode where the CPU fails..

I'd be interested to see how you with your spare GT1030-LP too, if it works, I think I'll grab one as my Gen8 setup sounds identical.

I'll update things as I find them, I'm not 100% convinced the FireTV sticks have been left alone and settings on there have been changed so the servers constantly trying to transcode things.

With Plex, for h265 decoding?
I've done a bit more reading, and its actually the FireTV stick thats not got the grunt to decode, so thinking its trying to get the server to do it, so the 1610T falls on its arse..