RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seeking recommendations for laser toner

Rodf

I've got an HP LaserJet printer. I've had it for a year. Love the thing. We don't print often, but after what might be close to a year since getting the printer, the yellow toner is running low. I'm starting to price LaserJet toners. They are pricy, but I expected that. What I didn't know is it appears that there's different sized toners for each printer. So, I'm wondering where is a good place for me to purchase HP LaserJet toner, or very good quality third party brands?

not really an answer but a few cautions from a laserjet owner

* be very careful to buy toner that exactly matches your model of printer, hp has many different ones and the cartridges are not interchangeable

* if you decide to 'save 50 bucks' with 3rd party toner, be careful about the 'chip' that HP sticks on theirs - some 3rd party toners come without the 'chip' and you have to try to find those, and some hp printers are extra picky about the chip. even if the chip lets a 3rd party cartridge work, the printer may not show you how much capacity is left

* the toners most likely come in two 'sizes' in terms of number of pages printed and this is an important factor in looking at the prices

* if the toner tray won't go in gently, don't force it, check that the cartridges are in properly, and if so, maybe one isn't the right model.

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

There are generally 2 sizes for HP printers, a 'normal' capacity one and an XL one, the XL one will be larger and hold more toner, they tend to be close to 3x the number of pages and double the cost.

Why HP do this, I have no idea, but they've done it for as long as I can remember.

Compatible cartridges can be funny, I don't use them while a printer is in warranty, even though some cartridge manufacturers will say they'll cover any warranty claims on the printer when using their carts.

The other issue is, you have no idea how old a cartridge is and how many times its been refilled, so the tolerances between the rollers and gears and other parts of the cartridge could be way out and then it leak toner crap inside the printer, not a good thing..

• Like 1

So your carts should be the HP415 series, W2030A will be black, W2031A cyan, W2032A yellow, W2033A magenta.

If you want the XL carts then replace the A with an X.

• Like 1

The part number @Trig0rshared is a UK part number

US part numbers are:

HP 414A Yellow Original LaserJet Toner Cartridge Standard-capacity replacement yellow toner cartridge 414A W2022A

or for high capacity

HP 414X High Yield Yellow Original LaserJet Toner Cartridge High-capacity replacement yellow toner cartridge 414X W2022X

page 30 lists part numbers for consumables:

HP Color LaserJet Pro M479 User Guide