RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My headless Windows 10 machine keeps shutting down

Rodf

Last weekend I set up a new Windows 10 Professional box. I took my old Windows 10 Professional box, put it onto another desk, and got it going without a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. It seems to be working fine, with one problem. It tends to shut down soon after no one using it. That surprises me, I thought it would stay up and running, whether anyone was using it or accessing it. (I've got a SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition database on that machine, which I want to have access to from any other machine in my home network.)

So, why is it shutting down so quickly? Or is that some sort of hibernation or sleep mode that I'm unfamiliar with?

did you go thru all the power options / power plan etc? in later win10 versions it is getting harder to reach the detailed settings but if you futz around enough you should be able to drill down to the point of disabling sleep/hibernate/etc...

• Thanks 1

Thank you, @nrf. I've just turned my old PC back on again, then remoted to it. I got into the Power & Sleep option. There are two things there: Screen and Sleep. Screen is set at 10 minutes, which I presume is OK. Sleep was set to 30 minutes. I'm guessing that's the problem, so I've increased it to Never. 

Will watch it to see if that does the trick.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 6:01 PM, Rodf said:

Thank you, @nrf. I've just turned my old PC back on again, then remoted to it. I got into the Power & Sleep option. There are two things there: Screen and Sleep. Screen is set at 10 minutes, which I presume is OK. Sleep was set to 30 minutes. I'm guessing that's the problem, so I've increased it to Never. 

Will watch it to see if that does the trick.

So far, seems to be working fine.