RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace boot SSD in a RAID configuration

AlbioB

Hi all,

first of all I want to thank everybody in this forum.

When I first built my home server, I ended up with the following disk configuration:

• 1 x 250 GB SSD for OS
  • 1 x 500 GB HDD for data
  • 3 x 3 TB HDDs for data

SSD is connected on bay 5 using ODD SATA connection. Data drives are in front panel bays.

I'd like to replace SSD with a bigger one, but I'm not sure how to modify RAID configuration without losing all data in all disks.

That's my SSA configuration:

image.png.6dfd7a335bb3aa8ca2f4f51cad3eb8ff.png

image.thumb.png.b134b43f034ab66ecba4dd17f57fa903.png

In fact I'm not using RAID at all - I don't even remember why I ended up configuring RAID controller (maybe it's a requirement to allow booting from bay 5?).

Every array contains only 1 disk so I guess every disk is in fact indipendent. Can I replace a disk without degrading my whole RAID configuration?

If I delete "Array A" (the SSD one) will other disks be affected?

After installing my new SSD, should I build a new array with my new logical drive, and set it bootable here?

image.png.9387ae44e368e9212ddfff44038a3319.png

(No clue why this is set on "None" but the system is booting, maybe it just takes the first logical drive?)

Thanks!

You can only boot from the ODD SATA port if the B120i is enabled. The configuration listed above appears to be all drives configured as individual RAID0. This is a way to use the B120i as JBOD, individual drives.

You should be able to shutdown the server, remove the SSD, connect it to a different PC and clone it to a new SSD. Install the new drive in the server and power up. The HP Dynamic Smart Array RAID Controller User Guide is a good resource for these migrations. You may need to use SSA to setup the new SSD, but the server may just pick it up. If you run into an issue you can revert back to the original SSD. Update all drivers and back up all of your data before making changes.

• Like 2

Thank you @schoondoggy

I replaced the SSD and HP SSA complained of degraded logical drive at first boot.

Then I opened HP SSA from Intelligent Provisioning, deleted old logical drive, created a new one, and reinstalled the OS (I wasn't interested in cloning my old drive). Other drives were not touched.

Yes, I should have read the SSA manual before asking dumb questions 🙂 here's the link for who struggles to find it: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03909334

Thanks