RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can Windows 10 Pro run headless?

Rodf

I've got a new desktop, which I'm going to use to replace an old Windows 10 desktop. Both are running Windows 10 Professional. At this point I don't have a spare monitor, keyboard, or mouse. On the weekend it's not a problem, because I can disconnect my work laptop, to which I've got a second monitor attached to the docking station, and the mouse and keyboard are also attached to the docking station. That's fine, on the weekends.

But how about during the week, when I must have the work laptop docked to the docking station, and the mouse, keyboard and second monitor also connected to the keyboard? So, I'm wondering, can I leave the old desktop running, connected by Wi-Fi to my router, but with no mouse, keyboard, or monitor? Or must it have at least a mouse and keyboard connected to it?

Once setup, it should boot-up totally headless. All it needs is power and a network connection (wired or wireless), and that you know its hostname and/or IP address for remote access.

• Like 1

of course some adjustments may be necessary, any account other than the admin will need permission for remote desktop use, and if you plan to keep it headless, some bios had a setting (adjustable) where it would not boot without mouse / keyboard but as always YMMV.

Edited by nrf

I had a similar need when I had to use a corporate laptop 

Just got a cheap two port kvm switch ~20 dollars or so

The "work" laptop was locked down, so you couldnt remote into it from my home network

As I recall, I had trouble remoting from the work laptop to my home machines as well

that can be a problem, especially if it keeps one from using their home printer. some vpns have a setting that allows access to the LAN and some don't. but it's the journey of discovery that brings the joy in tech!

Edited by nrf