RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VPN Connection to WHS

ginnser

Hello Guys

Been a long time listener, but first post !

Using WHS for 2 years now, I live in Hong Kong, (Irish expat), we use the WHS to stream media to our Xtreme media boxes and recently renovated our apartment and I installed Cat 6 everywhere ! Popular with the wife !

I have a 100MB Fibre connection and backup to Keepvault, works a treat !

So here is my question !

Although I can access my server over the new www.domainname.com and that works fine, I would like to be able to map my drives back to my WHS.

I have used Hamanchi in the past on a EX470 box, but I would like to utilize the VPN feature of my Draytek 2930 router.

I have no idea what security, PPTP, IPSec etc etc,

has anyone managed to VPN tunnel back to the server and map their drives?

Any info much appreciated.

Great podcast fellows, Dave you were good on your own, but with the rest of the guys its a great show.

Mark

Hong Kong

Mark,

Since we are playing with WHS which is (Windows Server 2003) in disguise, the answer must be yes its got to be possible. I never did it, but looking at the subject "To add the Remote Access/VPN Server role", go to Start | All Programs | Administrative Tools | Routing and Remote AccessRouting options; [i believe its doable.] [[ You have to remote desktop into into your BOX]]

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Welcome to Routing and Remote AccessRouting and Remote Access provides secure remote access to private networks.

Use Routing and remote access to configure the following:

Hello The Guy

Tried all that, RDC to the Box, and had a read of the help file, but still unable to configure anything.

I had hamanchi installed on previous EX470, but wanted to go for a stand alone VPN on this box.

Anyone else any experience of setting VPN connection to map drives on their WHS?

Cheers

Will have a look at RRAS now.

Really surprised that this is not easier on the WHS.

I am going to try a different approach, I will set my Draytek 2930 router up for PPTP VPN and then forward the port to the WHS and see if I can get access like that.

Will report back !

Ok

For those who are interested this is how I solved the issue and now have VPN to the WHS.

I gave up on configuring the WHS itself as I did not want the WHS to stop working if I messed it up, so...

I have a Draytek 2930 router that supports VPN, I created an account on the router so that I can connect to my home network, it was easy.

I made the mistake of forwarding some ports, but realised the router did this as a function of the VPN setup.

When I connect i can now map the drive using //192.168.1.xx and it works perfectly.

I like the idea I can remotely drop torrent files into the folder and uTorrent on the server picks them up so when I get home the item is downloaded !

Regards

Mark

Guest no-control

"I like the idea I can remotely drop torrent files into the folder and uTorrent on the server picks them up so when I get home the item is downloaded !"

Couldn't you just do this using WebUI for utorrent? install/set ip/port forward/done?

Or if you really want to think out of the box (pun intended :P)
use dropbox on your WHS along with Utorrent, set UT to monitor a folder in your dropbox and set utorrent to automatically start a download when it sees a new file.
dropbox has an apps as well so you can do this while browsing from a mobile phone

Pretty slick huh?

Hi NoControl

I travel in China and was having difficulty doing what you say, I find the VPN connection works best for me. Might be the Chinese blocking something !

Mark