RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace the system drive?

brwd09

I have not seen this subject brought up in the forum posts that i have looked at, so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been discussed. I am seeing a lot of errors on my server and I think that they are being caused by a drive starting to fail. My problem however is that the drive that I think is failkinbg is the drive that is the system drive.

I did a default build when I built my server so the C:\ drive is a partition on the first drive. The rest of that drive is part of the data pool. This means that I can not simply pull that drive anmd replace it (at least I don't think that I can do that). I can not remove that drive the way that I can remove any of the data drives by removing it from the pool.

Can anyone give me a procedure that i can use for replacing this drive other then a complete rebuild from scratch? or is that my best bet?

Also, if i do need to rebuild from scratch, can you tell me how I build the server such that the system drive is a seperate physical drive from the data drives?

Thanks for your help.

WHS2011 allows you to remove the system drive to a separate drive containing only the OS, however WHS v1 does not.

One option to replace the system drive is if all the data on the d: partition of that system drive is duplicated onto other pooled drives, Since you can not control what data is on that drive, you have to have all the shares duplicated. Also, if the PC backups are located on the system drive and you do not want to loose them, then you would need to install the DBDD add-in that copies your PC backups to an other drive. If you do not have enough free space, this will not work. Then you do a Server Recovery.

You can clone the system drive to a larger replacement drive using a free program like EAUS. You burn a bootable CD connect your master drive and the slave drive as the only drives on a PC, then make the clone. Then use the clone drive as your new system drive. Remember, any errors you have on the old drive will also be copied over. If you are unsuccessful, you can always put the old drive back in as long as you didn't erase it during the cloning.

I tried cloning like Diehard suggests when my WHS OS drive took a turn for the worst. In the end, it was much easier just to rebuild.

I have not seen this subject brought up in the forum posts that i have looked at, so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been discussed. I am seeing a lot of errors on my server and I think that they are being caused by a drive starting to fail. My problem however is that the drive that I think is failkinbg is the drive that is the system drive.

I did a default build when I built my server so the C:\ drive is a partition on the first drive. The rest of that drive is part of the data pool. This means that I can not simply pull that drive anmd replace it (at least I don't think that I can do that). I can not remove that drive the way that I can remove any of the data drives by removing it from the pool.

Can anyone give me a procedure that i can use for replacing this drive other then a complete rebuild from scratch? or is that my best bet?

Also, if i do need to rebuild from scratch, can you tell me how I build the server such that the system drive is a seperate physical drive from the data drives?

Thanks for your help.

Another option is to use CloneZilla to duplicate the system drive. You shut down your WHS, remove the drive, CloneZilla it to another drive, then put the clone into the WHS and boot up. Because the WHS was shut down the whole time, you don't run into the issues of data changing and getting out of sync. This is not a way to backup your WHS; it's a way to save it before it dies.

WHS2011 allows you to remove the system drive to a separate drive containing only the OS, however WHS v1 does not.

One option to replace the system drive is if all the data on the d: partition of that system drive is duplicated onto other pooled drives, Since you can not control what data is on that drive, you have to have all the shares duplicated. Also, if the PC backups are located on the system drive and you do not want to loose them, then you would need to install the DBDD add-in that copies your PC backups to an other drive. If you do not have enough free space, this will not work. Then you do a Server Recovery.

You can clone the system drive to a larger replacement drive using a free program like EAUS. You burn a bootable CD connect your master drive and the slave drive as the only drives on a PC, then make the clone. Then use the clone drive as your new system drive. Remember, any errors you have on the old drive will also be copied over. If you are unsuccessful, you can always put the old drive back in as long as you didn't erase it during the cloning.

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in responding back to you. I have had 2 very late days at work and have not been able to do anything here at home until now.

Here is my plan. please let me know what you think.

I bought a 2TB SATA hard drive that I am planning to put into another PC. I plan to copy all of my shares off of the server to this drive and then remove it from my server. I will then shut down the server and remove the system drive which I beleiove is failing. I will then rebuild the server from scratch and then copy my data back to it. I think this will resolve my problems. My theory is that the system drive is failing and not consistently writing. The Delayed Write Failures I am getting are all to the C:\fs\Q\*.* which I beleive is a part of the index that DE uses to locate where it has written files. Q in this case is one of my drives. So the write failures are to this index on the system drive. I believe that my data is safe.

Thanks for your help and advice.