RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Use eSATA

Max90

Hello,
I have an HP Microserver hstns 5151 nas, it mounts an AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core and I would like to add an external disk using the eSATA port on the back of the NAS.
I bought this cable on Amazon: https://www.amazon.it/Power-Esatap-eSATA-2-0-Combo-2-5-3-5-hard/dp/B00GM7CMFG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
The problem is that when I connect a 2.5' drive with this cable to the eSATA port of the NAS it doesn't seem to be getting power.

Does this cable not fit because the port had to be eSATAp? how do i do then? I'm missing something ..

Posted (edited)

good question. seems like a logical explanation at first glance.

when I was thinking of doing it I assumed the power was not coming out through that connector, as I had seen people looping it back into the inside of the case. it may be time to dig thru the internet history for some specs on that feature. the cable I got was just for the data. but I never followed through on the idea.

Edited by nrf

34 minutes ago, nrf said:

good question. seems like a logical explanation at first glance.

when I was thinking of doing it I assumed the power was not coming out through that connector, as I had seen people looping it back into the inside of the case. it may be time to dig thru the internet history for some specs on that feature. the cable I got was just for the data. but I never followed through on the idea.

I tried to search the internet but found no answers. I have also seen that some have used an esata to sata cable and used internal power.
Unfortunately I was thinking of solving using only this cable and leaving the hard disk out of the case (I would like to do some sort of additional backup of the nas, not add the disk to the raid).

I don't even know what to do since I paid 7 euros for it and I don't want to give it back ..

The host device has to have a 'esata-p' port to supply power to the client device.  The regular esata doesnt have power.

I dont have the specs on the n40l, but esata-p ports are uncommon, even back when the n40 was new

I still have an external usb drive enclosre with a esata connector.  Works great, but usb3 devices have largely obsoleted essta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Al_Borges said:

The host device has to have a 'esata-p' port to supply power to the client device.  The regular esata doesnt have power.

I dont have the specs on the n40l, but esata-p ports are uncommon, even back when the n40 was new

I still have an external usb drive enclosre with a esata connector.  Works great, but usb3 devices have largely obsoleted essta

thanks for the clarifications! that's what I wanted to know and what I hoped it wasn't.
The usb ports are still 2.0, so at most I will buy an esata to sata cable and power the drive normally.

Looking at the connector,  you should be able to use a regular sata cable to patch your connector to a drive.  You will have to power the drive separately

• Thanks 1