RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MKV streaming via WHS 2011

I found this Codec Pack a few weeks ago and it works just fine. Installed on the clients. If you do choose to install this one, select "Detailed Installation" so you can bypass the installation of a toolbar and home page chnage it will make.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timekills

• analog

• itGeeks

timekills

Easiest way to stream .MKV from WHS to Clients

uninstall shark007

DO NOT install anything on servers as they just SERVE the media

Install Haali media splitter on clients only

Enjoy

This will enable .MKV to work with WMC & WMP

If it still doesn't work this issue is your system not Microsoft. They don't restrict anything stop drinking the Kool-Aid. If they restricted it you wouldn't be able to view it regardless.

I'm playing thread necro since it came up again recently.

Note that the thread was NOT about playing MKVs from a server on a client. In that case, only the client needs the ability (via either built-in to Windows codec, built-into a player codec, or third party codec) to play the file.

Again - this was about the ability for the SERVER to successfully use the media streaming via Silverlight (web) interface. Which absolutely requires that the SERVER be able to decode (and re-encode/transcode) the file. Therefore the SERVER has to have the codec availability.

Disagree about using a codec pack (I already agreed they're evil) vs. installing a single codec (and yes, Haali's splitter is indeed a codec) vs. Shark's (essentially FFDshow just with a front end to help with the correct install) all you want but unless the server can decode the video (either natively (MPEG4 in the correct container, i.e. MP4) or through an application (Plex for example) or with 3rd party codec) it isn't going to be able to "webcast" it.

Thanks for emphasizing the difference between 'pulling' video by reading a file and playing it locally vs 'streaming' a video where the server has to 'understand' how to decode a video file.

timekills

Thanks for emphasizing the difference between 'pulling' video by reading a file and playing it locally vs 'streaming' a video where the server has to 'understand' how to decode a video file.

Certainly. I'll caveat what I said earlier by refining the intent here is to allow WHS or now Server 2012 Essentials to use the built-in streaming functionality. There are ways to add hinting into various containers where the server doesn't do any transcoding (i.e. MP4 and OGG and some other HTML5 compliant container/codec combinations can be streamed from a pure web server to an HTML5 compliant browser.) 

However, the native WHS/2012E system uses transcoding through the Silverlight front end, so does require the server side to be able to "play" the video.