RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MKV streaming via WHS 2011

I am able to stream MKV files after installing - what I consider to be the only truly stable an trustworthy codec "pack" - shark007. I'm not going be an advocate for shark007 or any other codec pack, but generally codec packs are bad things to install on any PC, much less a server, because they install a lot more than you might desire or be aware of. Shark007 is tried and true to work natively with Windows Media Player and doesn't install bloat. Bottom line - after installing the 32 bit and then 64 bit versions, I can stream MKVs over the Internet as well as my LAN. There do appear to be some issues with aspect ratio display; i.e. some 16:9 shows are displaying as squashed horizontally as if it thinks they are 4:3, but this is only over Internet streaming through the WHS web page. Sharky: http://shark007.net/ Still working on VTS direct conversion. Would be great if we could get straight DVD rips to work.

Hi Steve,

Ok so I want to install shark007 do I install it on the server or the clients? Do I install it with default setting or make changes? Any help you can give me I would be greatfull.

Thank you,

Ray

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timekills

• analog

• itGeeks

Analog,

Nice catch, Thank you so much for the link. This stuff is very confusing, I have been doing nothing but reading for months and now I feel I know less now then when I started looking into all this streaming stuff. Anyway thank you for take the time to post this is very helpfull.

On the client as they are the ones presenting the file. The server only "serves".

Thank you very much for the info jmwills

Edited by Mr Fixit

very interesting thread. I have never used shark, but I have installed and used K-Lite, xp codec pack, and win7 codec pack. I've never had any particular problems that I've noted, but it's obvious that you guys know way more than me about this stuff so I'll keep this thread in mind. Thanks for the info.

Mr Fixit, does it work for you (I mean the mkv streaming files) ?

=> Have you installed the Shark codec pack on your WHS server or just on your client?

Edited by spiken
  • 2 weeks later...

Mr Fixit, does it work for you (I mean the mkv streaming files) ?

=> Have you installed the Shark codec pack on your WHS server or just on your client?

Spiken,

I have not installed anything yet, Sorry I dont have any news to tell you good or bad. I will try to keep you posted but I am thinking of just installing Total Media Theater on my WMC and be done with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have followed complete instruction up untill that last post. But .mkv files will still not stream via the web even after doing all the tweaks with Shark007.

Please help!

I have followed complete instruction up untill that last post. But .mkv files will still not stream via the web even after doing all the tweaks with Shark007.

Please help!

Hi helmjake,

I am having the same trouble as you "mkv files will still not stream via the web even after doing all the tweaks with Shark007"

I think we need more talk on the podcast and such about this topic becouse its very confusing and even harder to setup and get it working and y?? Becouse Microsoft always wants to fite and restrict what we want to do, aka (A Microsoft World).Everything I read for almost a year now says use MKVs its the most supported, Best Container, ect. but I be darn if I can figure out y peaple say that becouse in a Microsoft house it does NOT work.

Anyone please help!!

Edited by Mr Fixit
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest no-control

Easiest way to stream .MKV from WHS to Clients

uninstall shark007

DO NOT install anything on servers as they just SERVE the media

Install Haali media splitter on clients only

Enjoy

This will enable .MKV to work with WMC & WMP

If it still doesn't work this issue is your system not Microsoft. They don't restrict anything stop drinking the Kool-Aid. If they restricted it you wouldn't be able to view it regardless.