RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MKV streaming via WHS 2011

I am able to stream MKV files after installing - what I consider to be the only truly stable an trustworthy codec "pack" - shark007. I'm not going be an advocate for shark007 or any other codec pack, as generally codec packs are bad things to install on any PC, much less a server, because they install a lot more than you might desire or be aware of. However, Shark007 is tried and true to work natively with Windows Media Player and doesn't install bloat.

Bottom line - after installing the 32 bit and then 64 bit versions, I can stream MKVs over the Internet as well as my LAN. There do appear to be some issues with aspect ratio display; i.e. some 16:9 shows are displaying as squashed horizontally as if it thinks they are 4:3, but this is only over Internet streaming through the WHS web page.

Sharky: http://shark007.net/

Still working on VTS direct conversion. Would be great if we could get straight DVD rips to work.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timekills

• analog

• itGeeks

You are a braver man than I.... Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I've heard your pain of using codec packs during HTPC installs - most recently on your stint on the Digital Media Zone podcast. I concur wholeheartedly. Previously the only codec group I would install was the FFDShow install. It was fast, and generally well documented and tested to prevent against extra bloat or malware. However, it never worked very well natively with Windows Media Center. If you have some time, check out Sharky's page. It might make you reconsider its use even on your HTPC.

Also, apparently the issue where 16:9 video is not displayed correcly is a known Silverlight issue that is expected to be resolved.

See "official" post to WHS2011 forum on MS site here: MKV files not recognzed by WHS 2011 media sharing?

(I'm SDail there)

P.S. my WHS 2011 test server is the Atom box I got from you, and it does remarkably well transcoding MKVs and AVIs at medium level over Internet connection.

Edited by timekills

I've heard your pain of using codec packs during HTPC installs - most recently on your stint on the Digital Media Zone podcast. I concur wholeheartedly. Previously the only codec group I would install was the FFDShow install. It was fast, and generally well documented and tested to prevent against extra bloat or malware. However, it never worked very well natively with Windows Media Center. If you have some time, check out Sharky's page. It might make you reconsider its use even on your HTPC.

Even if I only want FFDShow (I use Haali and Gabest also) I do a custom install of Shark007's codecs. Unlike "packs" Shark is an application which installs and uninstalls (or activates) codecs as desired. Just uninstall from the Help menu to leave your system the same as before the application was installed.

maybe its a WHS2011 issue or silverlight issue, but all you need to stream MKV's is Haali. Nothing more and certainly not that shark crap.

That will get you video and AC3 but, if you want to bitstream True HD or DTS HD Master, you need FFDShow.

maybe its a WHS2011 issue or silverlight issue, but all you need to stream MKV's is Haali.

For Win7 *playback*, yes. For Silverlight streaming, no.

certainly not that shark crap.

Normally I'm a huge advocate of yours, Michael, but as someone who has done video editing since prior to my dual cellys on a BP6 days, I feel comfortable in saying that Sharky's set is not "crap". K-Lite - crap. CCCP - crap. XP Codec Pack - crap. All install too much stuff, often mess up and conflict with native codecs or even their own installed codecs, are difficult or impossible to configure, etc. Not to mention potentially installing malware. Sharky's, is designed to not install extra junk and works with Windows native software.

Guest no-control

I figured silverlight through something else in the mix. I haven't had time to test WHS2011 as much as I would like.

hmmmm....I tried using shark about a year ago and it was a confusing mess and I still wasn't sure what the hell it was and wasn't installing. I'll take your word for it, but I'm sure you'll understand if I choose to still shy away from it.

I figured silverlight through something else in the mix. I haven't had time to test WHS2011 as much as I would like.

hmmmm....I tried using shark about a year ago and it was a confusing mess and I still wasn't sure what the hell it was and wasn't installing. I'll take your word for it, but I'm sure you'll understand if I choose to still shy away from it.

I agree. Except for testing purposes I wouldn't install any (non-native) codecs myself, possible exception being one for AC3 and either Haali (free) or CoreAVC ($) for decoding. Especially on a production server. Only reason I tried it was because Haali wasn't working with Silverlight streaming, I'll be darned if I trust any other solutions to include Divx, especially any commercial variants, and like most BYOB'ers I'm a stubborn SOB when it comes to something not working. Had to prove the MS certified experts wrong. :)

That will get you video and AC3 but, if you want to bitstream True HD or DTS HD Master, you need FFDShow.

Wellllllll....presuming you mean using WMC or Media Center Classic/Home Cinema. I believe that VLC's built in decoder enables TrueHD. Assuming you have the system to support it. But that sort of agrees with your point since VLC uses an FFDShow build when it is compiled. You just don't have to install it so it makes for a "cleaner" system.

Edited by timekills