RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How can I get a TV signal to come into the house, from an outdoor antenna?

Rodf

We haven't used cable TV for many years. I don't want to go back to cable TV. Never used satellite, so I don't know what that's like anyway.

Our indoor TV antenna has gotten significantly worse. My guess is there's more in the way between it and the TV broadcasting antennas about 15 minutes away. So, I've decided to try and go with a better antenna. So, I've bought an Antennas Direct Clearstream 1Max TV Antenna. (Yes, I could have gone with a more expensive one, but at point I'm going to start small until I build some confidence at doing this.) At first, I thought I could put it outside and connect it, somehow, to the cable box on the outside of the house. (We don't have cable TV, but we do have cable Internet.) However, then I read where cable companies don't like you doing that. Especially in my case, where we don't have cable TV.

So, what ways can I connect an outdoor antenna though to at least 2, maybe 3, TVs in the house?

Cable and dish companies routinely cut the outside connection with they disconnect service. The direct tv guy I had didn't touch anything except to cut their feed into the house, out of spite. They left everything else!     The cables left are yours if you can salvage them.   Be aware that internal runs often go thru splitters as they go thru the house, which will cause havoc with a broadcast tv signal. That being said,.   If you are feeding several tv with broadcast tv, the best way to do it is to it with a HD Home run, then going thru your home network. Splitting and amplifying a broadcast signal is fraught with problems and is harder and harder to find the right equipment to do

Edited by Al_Borges

[mention=3804]Al_Borges[/mention] what is HD Home Run?
A networked tv tuner. Very popular for over the air tv reception. Works with most pvr apps

Search for. 'silicon dust hd homerun' to see there latest devices

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is looking very promising. Does it work with Roku?

Never mind, I turned on my Roku Ultra. I searched on it and found it there. Its rated 3 out of 5 stars. Not exactly stellar, but not awful, either.

So, I'll continue to consider this.

Edited by Rodf
additional information

• 2 months later...
  1. Turn everything off at the wall.
  2. Check that all cables are securely and firmly in place.
  3. Wait for 60 seconds.
  4. Plug your TV box (not the television set) in and turn it on.
  5. Wait another 60 seconds, or until the lights on the TV box have stopped flashing.
  6. Plug everything else back in and turn it all back on.

Follow these simple methods if your TV signals are now properly working. 

( I think the previous post is not applicable.)

if you have cable internet you will need to preserve the connectivity between the cable company and your cable modem, otherwise you will have a bad day. having separated that from the rest of the wiring you can use the now dead parts as you see fit. I don't know how much of it you have in your house but I suggest avoiding 'loose ends' or at least terminating unused outlets.