Windows 11

JackoUK

Not liking Windows 11 at first blush …

Free upgrade: thanks.

The new user interface:

- centralised icons … like a MAC

- widgets … like VISTA

- rounded corners and see-through pane … like Vista

Some useful windows rearrangers. Pretty, a little useful, but no big deal.

ANDROID apps. – I don’t have any – all Windows tablets here. But it could be useful.

Base system requirements. Oh dear – most of my kit is now obsolete!

-          4 x HP Microservers Gen 7 and Gen 8

-          All my older tablets: LINX1010E and CHUWIHi13 …

-          … and my ‘new’ test tablet: a 2nd hand Surface Pro 3!

OK, so I had already been planning to replace the Microservers, and W10 will be supported until 2025, but I am a little disappointed, especially when W11 is supposed to be more efficient – won’t  my old kit run all the faster for it?

The CPU requirement sounds like a push for OEM's rather than a genuine constraint - but I don't know the low-level details.

I get the security angle with TPM 2.0 … but could that not be optional rather than a roadblock?

As to the compatibility checker program, already at issue 2, well that’s a typical $MSFT piece of crapware: why can’t it simply list the status of all the device’s issues and point to a sensible discussion on the failed topic rather than the generic web page?

AMD CPU's newer than Ryzen 2000 series should have the ability to turn in the option fTPM in the BIOS as TPM is built into the CPU, the number of people I have seem moaning about forcing TPM when their machine has it, but disabled by default is humours to say the least...

Other than that, I don't care about any of the other stuff.

apparently there are a few people who benchmarked some games vs win 10 and were getting higher numbers with 11. One thing I dont like about 10 is the system setting , I prefer the control panel...have one centralized area to change settings

There is a limited number cpus supported by W11.  I posted elsewhere on this forum about this.  

In looking at a couple of processors that aren't compatible it's clear that they aren't just dumping 32 bit support, they also dumping CPU's that aren't optimized for 64 bit

I guess they don't want to have there asses handed to them on benchmarks against M1 arm processors

13 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

I guess they don't want to have there asses handed to them on benchmarks against M1 arm processors

That makes sense - the usual $APPL envy versus general utility and userbase support 😒

• 3 months later...

Liking W11 even less now that release approaches.

Can't see anything worth upgrading for ... and the new apps and Android subsystem aren't there yet.

Waiting until 2022 even on new machines.

Moderator: what has happened to the W7, W8, W10, ... sections?

Should at least be a Windows section.

Or do I need to visit Specsavers?

1 hour ago, JackoUK said:

Liking W11 even less now that release approaches.

Can't see anything worth upgrading for ... and the new apps and Android subsystem aren't there yet.

Waiting until 2022 even on new machines.

Moderator: what has happened to the W7, W8, W10, ... sections?

Should at least be a Windows section.

Or do I need to visit Specsavers?

Looks like forum sections for W7, W8, W10 are all intact. What are you referring to?

Operating Systems and Software - RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Will see about getting a Windows 11 section.

I had a quick ply yesterday as one of the guys at work has it running on VMware...

Main thing I noticed, you can still access the old school Control Panel, why, surely by now they should have completed the transition from Control Panel to the Settings option from Windows 10, a lot of things in there push you to Settings, but surely...

I'll grab a copy when its out and stick it on my home machine, doesn't do much other than surfing and gaming, doubt we'll be pushing it at work until Kenwood have okayed it as their software can be a bit funny..

20 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Will see about getting a Windows 11 section.

My bad - must take an eye test soon.