RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 11 on N36, N40, N56?

rtrt

I think the compatibility issue with window 11 is worse than that. There are only specific CPU's that are supported at this time.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

I have a year old surface go tablet that fails the test, as well as my main machine running an I7 6700k

I think W11 is a way for them to drop support for a lot of older cpud

• Like 1

Looks like a fail on TPM 2.0, secure boot to UEFI and CPU to me ...

... and the Gen 8 as well 😪

Agree with Al_B that the strict CPU offload looks like a land grab 😡

It'll be interesting to see how $MSFT justifies that ... I'm hoping to see lots of pushback there.

End of the line in 2025 then. Can't be too disappointed though - the old Microservers have had a good run.

Edited by JackoUK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_Borges said:

I have a year old surface go tablet that fails the test, as well as my main machine running an I7 6700k.

Ouch!

I'm hoping the backlash causes some rethink of their position, but they want us all to go buy new stuff to keep the industry going, right?

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 3:19 PM, Al_Borges said:

I have a year old surface go tablet that fails the test, as well as my main machine running an I7 6700k

That puts my N36 & N40 'concern' into context - sorry to hear that!

On 6/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, JackoUK said:

End of the line in 2025 then. Can't be too disappointed though - the old Microservers have had a good run.

Yes that's really the right way to think.about it.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:12 PM, nrf said:

I'm hoping the backlash causes some rethink of their position, but they want us all to go buy new stuff to keep the industry going, right?

Yes seems completely logical and for my main desktop / laptop I'd do that-  but my server use case is very light and so I'll just keep them running as long as I can on W10 or maybe dabble on Linux at some point.

Thanks for all the replies.