RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Existing Win10 SSD changed from AHCI to RAID 0 not booting

youngsyp

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I've been using an SSD in bay 1, with a Win10 ProN image since buying the Gen8 back at launch. I've decided I want to move it to bay 5 (ODD tray) so started the process yesterday. I've plugged it all in, enabled the embedded RAID controller, set the SSD as RAID 0 and changed it to the bootable logical drive. When I fire up the machine however, I get to Windows boot logo and get the 'inaccessible boot device' message.

If I switch the BIOS back to AHCI, remove all other HDDs, it'll fire into Windows no issue.

So what am I missing/ not doing correctly? I admit I'm merely an amateur with this but, can learn quickly.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Edited by youngsyp

Hi, I"m no expert on this myself, but I believe it might be because you don't have the raid drivers installed. Also I've never been aware that you could change from AHCI to Raid mode without a reformat and reinstall of the OS.

But since your getting the Windows Boot Logo it just might be a lack of drivers for the raid controller. Try installing them while still in AHCI mode and then change over and see what happens.

I'm sure you'll get better info from someone else on here, but hope I might have helped.

cheers

Gib

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 6:12 AM, gibster said:

Hi, I"m no expert on this myself, but I believe it might be because you don't have the raid drivers installed. Also I've never been aware that you could change from AHCI to Raid mode without a reformat and reinstall of the OS.

But since your getting the Windows Boot Logo it just might be a lack of drivers for the raid controller. Try installing them while still in AHCI mode and then change over and see what happens.

I'm sure you'll get better info from someone else on here, but hope I might have helped.

cheers

Gib

Hi,

Yes, I believe you're right but unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to install the driver, without the B120i adaptor being enabled. So I performed a fresh install, using iLO to mount the .iso and installing the driver during the build process.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1