RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Jelleyfin Media Server

Al_Borges

Has any one been testing/using the Open Source  'JellyFin' Media server ?

I've been testing it as an alternative to Plex

it is based on the open source portion of Emby and has similar features to plex and Emby

So far I've been impressed, like most open source projects it has a few rough edges

servers and clients are available for a variety of platforms

My main issue  is that the QNAP server runs in a docker instance,  as a docker 'virgin' , its rather daunting.  The windows 10 server runs fine

'free' has its own charm,  but I have some other concerns about the future of Plex

1)  the live tv/dvr experience is a mess  For me would be the only compelling reason to pay for a plex pass

2)  they keep trying to add crappy features, like retro games and such

3)  they have been bought and are heading in the wrong direction for me,  gonna really mess up the user experience

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/plex-raises-50-million-to-become-one-stop-shop-for-streaming/?source=home

I agree with you on what's happening with Plex. And it's not just them... practically every product I'm heavily invested in is getting "crappier" to a certain extent; Plex, Ubiquiti, Untangle, Wyze, IFTTT... just to name a few. And chances are, most other replacement solutions would be heading into that direction sooner or later. 

For that, I've decided to stick it out with Plex, at least for the foreseeable future, for two reasons... I already have Plex Pass and I don't have it in me to setup another platform then mess up what me and my family is already familiar with.

The problem with these outfits is that, most of them have stopped listening to their community and decisions are now being dictated by corporate greed.

I will also stay with Plex for the near term, but as a window media center refugee, I dont want to be unprepared when Plex finally goes to far

The money quote from the press release for me

"The solution, the service believes, is to create an aggregator that will allow users to find what they want. Plex will also help users discover new content with personalized recommendations."

So in plain english, they will mine your content in order to push stuff on to you.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Al_Borges said:

mine your content in order to push stuff on to you.

doesn't everyone?

Ah yes, Windows MCE. That monstrosity catapulted me to where me and my media mess is right now. :D Well, not quite. Before MCE, I used HDD-based "media tanks" as they were called. But MCE exposed me to the look and feel of a proper media center and I was hooked since.

Also went through XBMC (before it was renamed to Kodi) because of the many limitations of MCE. Beyond that, the writings on the wall pointed to an eventual abandonment of MCE by Microsoft. So then, I finally ended up with Plex Media Server sometime in 2013-2014. That was a time when mobile devices started to become prevalent and I needed a platform that can do the transcoding on the fly for these devices. Plex was the clear winner at the time.

There's a lot more that happened in between which is probably going to be off-topic. Anybody remember the WD TV Live? lol

BTT: As for Plex, I'd give credit where it is due. At least they're transparent with how they intend to use the data they collect from your media. And it does make sense. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, et al, does it. (I'm aware of the slight difference between online vs offline content). That said, it would be better if there was a way in Plex to opt out of it.

doesn't everyone?
Its one thing for netflix, for example, to make suggestions based on what you have seen on netflix

Its another to take an inventory of your entire media library and sell it

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk