RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 123, What do you think ?

diehard

A few things of interest this week.

Dave's comments: Windows Home Serve 2011 still has the attention in this weeks news. Episode 123 is mostly that but I think there is something for everyone in this show. We talk Add-Ins, Storage, Virtual Machines, Worm Holes, and every other topic we can think of. There is no set format in this one. We hit the ground running!

Nothing special this week. Expect Raid talk with the BYOB guys, next week.

Here's something interesting for ServerTheHome. They mention Home Server Show Podcast as a favorite. http://www.servethehome.com/difference-hardware-raid-hbas-software-raid/

What do you think ?

A few things of interest this week.

Dave's comments: Windows Home Serve 2011 still has the attention in this weeks news. Episode 123 is mostly that but I think there is something for everyone in this show. We talk Add-Ins, Storage, Virtual Machines, Worm Holes, and every other topic we can think of. There is no set format in this one. We hit the ground running!

Nothing special this week. Expect Raid talk with the BYOB guy, next week.

What do you think ?

I should get a chance to listen to the show tomorrow...

I am actually holding off on my rebuild of WHS currently depending on a possible solution with RAID from the BYOB group. I saw a post from pcdoc in regards to a Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 card that may fill my needs...I have a lot of DVD/BluRay media I utilize for MyMovies and want to ensure this will be a good solution for me...I have very limited knowledge of RAID. :blink:

In the next show, please talk about how 3 TB drives fit into v2. Not sure if they will be good to use because you will get a 1 TB partition for every 3 TB drive. It seems like that will suck because you may only have 8 drives in your server, but v2 will show it as 16 drives; but maybe I am overlooking a use for the 1 TB drive partition.

In the next show, please talk about how 3 TB drives fit into v2. Not sure if they will be good to use because you will get a 1 TB partition for every 3 TB drive. It seems like that will suck because you may only have 8 drives in your server, but v2 will show it as 16 drives; but maybe I am overlooking a use for the 1 TB drive partition.

Tim Daleo and I tested a 3TB one night, he ended up making a video, check it out.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/02/06/windows-home-server-2011-internal-3tb-hard-drive-support-video-edition/

Tim Daleo and I tested a 3TB one night, he ended up making a video, check it out.

http://usingwindowsh...-video-edition/

Thanks but that isn't what I was talking about. Any clowns can figure that part out, eh. ;)

I was talking about the interface within v2 with all the 2 TB and 1TB partitions that will build up. Will there be any downsides to all the 1 TB partitions or any other negative aspects I am not thinking about?

You mean the 754GB partitions? The 3TB will format downward and not have exactly 3TB of usable space so it's that second partition that suffers. Kinda stinks. I personally wouldn't want several of those hanging around on my server. Just have to wait for those 4 and 5TB drives I guess!

You mean the 754GB partitions? The 3TB will format downward and not have exactly 3TB of usable space so it's that second partition that suffers. Kinda stinks. I personally wouldn't want several of those hanging around on my server. Just have to wait for those 4 and 5TB drives I guess!

Yes, the 754 GB (ie 1 TB) partition. So I was thinking the same that I dont want all those hanging around. Is there any real world negative aspects, or even positive aspects, of having them around?

Sorry guys. I sent twitter announcements all day long. I'm going to try to do a blog post to announce schedule changes in the future. I hope that will help.

Yes, the 754 GB (ie 1 TB) partition. So I was thinking the same that I dont want all those hanging around. Is there any real world negative aspects, or even positive aspects, of having them around?

I think it's only personal preference. Those 3TB drives are better suited for use in RAID for me.

I think it's only personal preference. Those 3TB drives are better suited for use in RAID for me.

Wow, I handn't thought of that. Good idea.