RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

App Based Firewalls for NAS's

Al_Borges

Al_Borges
qnap just released out of beta a built in firewall app for its nas  'QUFirewall'

enhances ip filtering and controls ip access to the NAS

come to think about it,  my nas was the only computer on the network that wasnt firewalled

i was getting around 4000 probes a day from outside the US  now blocking all of them 

right now, i have it set up to ignore any request from outside my internal subnet, the basic profile will restrict to country specific ip ranges

Synology has something similar

whats the thought around the body of the lodge on this 

I see this as a low cost bridge to a full-on UTM, like pfsense or sophos

Edited by Al_Borges
nrf

I wonder how the world could even come knocking. was it using upnp? did you open a port for it? perhaps more focus on your main router/firewall is in order

Edited by nrf
oj88

As nrf said, I think you'd want to see why your NAS is getting hit from outside your network. Your perimeter firewall should've been able to stop them. It's possible that you've configured port-forwarding. It's better to insulate these devices from the outside and instead, use a VPN to access it from the outside.

I think the idea of using the QNAP firewall is to control access from your LAN and possibly, as a last line of defense from external attacks.

Edited by oj88
Al_Borges

I have upnp,disabled  on my router and the 'sheilds up test' on GRC websites show that i am not responding  still getting packets being blocked by the firewal

Clipboard01.jpg

nrf

so you forced shieldsup to test all 64k ports? perhaps qufirewall can tell you more about what it is deflecting, in some log or such

Edited by nrf
itGeeks

What are you using for a router? When you say the NAS is the only device not firewall, what do you mean by that?? I find the claim that it blocked all that a little odd if you have a router and not using uPnP or using port forwarding. As for Geo blocking by country, be careful with that. When I did that on my Synology Router (highly recommended) it did more harm then good. I had all sorts of problems...

Your rite Synology NAS has a firewall built in that we can use and is designed to be used if your using the NAS as a router, not sure why anyone would want to use the NAS as a router but the option is there. 

Edited by itGeeks
Al_Borges
Posted (edited)

I  am using a TP-Link Deco X20 router

upnp disabled by default on the router

When I stated that the NAS was the only computer not firewalled,   I meant that all the other computers have windows 10  firewalls installed and running    -   the NAS was the only full blown computer without a Firewall, until  QNAP released the QuFirewall App

The point of my original question was  the usefulness/utility of a NAS firewall  

I found one use -     checking the Qufirewall event log,  all the "hits" were coming from just 5 IP addresses  -   so I specifically blocked those in the NAS Firewall rules

havent gotten any  hits int he last 6 hours or so  since I did this. 

Edited by Al_Borges
nrf

so were those IP addresses from the local lan or external IPs? if external, something is going on that warrants further investigation!

itGeeks

Agreed. If external how are they hitting the NAS, do you have external access by way of port forwarding?

Al_Borges

Thanks for all the suggestions,  I spent the last couple of days investigating and I think I found the issue(s)

first,   There was a hole in the UPNP protection I thought i had

Qnap has a switch in their MyQnap Cloud service ( remote access to the NAS over the web) See photo 1 attached.    I tried MyQnapcloud  last year and this must have been set  The handful of external IP's  must have come in this way -   with the QSnatch Malware prevalent -  lots of bots hanging around.   

2nd   -   The Qufirewall app shouldnt  have been taken out of beta -   it registers even local NAS traffic as Hits on the Firewall  -   I did a packet analysis using wireshark and recognized all the "hits"  as expected local traffic

so much for 10K hits a day   I've reported this on an issue ticket to QNAP

Anyway,  wanted to close the loop and hopefully share some "mistakes"  to avoid

experience isnt always the best teacher -  it gives the test first, then the lesson 

Fortunately,  I had the Admin account disabled and a secure/obscure userID and password for  login

1369491242_QNAPHole.jpg.c230ebe356479a9e2786d1e42778f368.jpg

Wireshark analysis.jpg