RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can I use an HP EliteBook even when its battery is bad?

Rodf

I'm still working from home (and loving it!). I'm using an older work issued HP EliteBook laptop for work. I've kept it plugged in all the time because of the need to have it on a stand I bought, a small TV with an HDMI port which I use as a second monitor, etc. Anyway, I've noticed that the battery is slowly losing capacity. It's now readying just 45% full, even though it's plugged in 24/7.

If it gets to 0% will I still be able to use the laptop?

It depends on the system, some laptops have pass-through and will allow it to work and some don't. Is the battery removable? If so power down the laptop and remove it then try and power on is the only way to know ahead of time.

Best practices is if the laptop is plugged in most of the time, remove battery after fully charged, this will extend the battery life.

My understanding is that plugging in 24/7 is not recommended.

How to get the longest life out of your battery (and help prevent it from bursting into flames) | ZDNet

By all means run plugged in when you are using power.

Windows has a useful battery report feature which might help you see what is going on.

How to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10 | Windows Central

JackoUK,

I prematurely killed a battery years ago by leaving it connected 24/7 while the laptop was plugged in most of the time so your understanding is correct. That said some laptops mostly budget friendly don't have removable batteries or at least easy to remove.

I know a good few years back leaving them plugged in and sat at 100% charge was bad, however on newer laptops (as with phones) there is now tech to limit what the charge cycle does, for instance my Lenovo is set to chare to 85% and then no more, my iPhone also has a different charge cycle when its on charge overnight.

I'm not sure exactly how far this tech goes when it comes to increasing the lifetime of a battery, especially with faster charging stuff these days.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:13 AM, itGeeks said:

It depends on the system, some laptops have pass-through and will allow it to work and some don't. Is the battery removable? If so power down the laptop and remove it then try and power on is the only way to know ahead of time.

Best practices is if the laptop is plugged in most of the time, remove battery after fully charged, this will extend the battery life.

I don't know about the battery. A couple days ago I tried to remove the back but couldn't find out how to do so. I spent 30 minutes on YouTube looking for any video that described replacing a battery on an HP EliteBook. I found plenty that described and showed how to do it once the back was removed. None of them told me how to remove the back.

BTW, as to why I've kept it plugged in 24/7 - that's because my management has told me to do so. "If we need to push an update to your HP EliteBook, it must be available 24/7".

On 3/17/2021 at 5:23 PM, schoondoggy said:

What is the exact model of the EliteBook?

It's an EliteBook 850 G4

I've purchased a LG soundbar It has 2 HDMI ports, which I believe are to accept input and output. But after a couple days the best I've been able to get is video showing on the TV. That's it. The first day I didn't even have that.

What complicates things is I've got a Roku and a Blu-ray player, both of which I want to connect either to the TV, or the soundbar. That's one of the problems, which?

To try and resolve this problem I got thing "thing" from Walmart. I don't know what its proper name is, so I'm just going to call it a "thing". It's some gadget from Walmart's brand, you're probably familiar with it, it's called "Onn". This Onn thing has 4 HDMI input ports and 1 HDMI output port. I thought I could plug the Roku and Blu-ray player into it, then plug that into ____________???

Here's where I'm getting big time confused. I've tried plugging an HDMI from the TV into the thing, then that into the soundbar. That didn't work. Then I tried plugging the TV into the soundbar, then that into the thing. That didn't work.

At least that's what I think I've done. I'm not certain. The thing comes with a little controller which allows me to switch between the 4 input ports.

But I'm lost, as far as the rest of how things are supposed to work together, should work together.

The owners manuals for all 3 devices don't help. The TV is somewhat older - it isn't a smart TV. (That's why I've got a Roku.) The TV is a Vizio.

Then there's the Onn thing.

And lastly the LG soundbar.

How should everything be connected, so that I can get video from TV (rabbit ears), Roku or Blu-ray player? And sound from all 3?