RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for a WHS friendly router

jvk

My last two routers have been Belkin routers. My current router is a Wireless N, 100 Mbs LAN and the model# is F5D8236-4v1(01). Needless to say, it has been acting up lately. Every time I drag a large amount of data across the network (either via wired or wireless), the router drops the internet connection. Additionally, I have not been able to configure remote access via the WHS console and have had to forward ports manually in order for remote access to work. Needless to say, it is time for a new router.

What I want is a wireless N with a Gigi-bit LAN. I am looking at the Linksys WRT610N. What are you guys running? Do you have any recommendations or tips on which routers to stay away from?

Thanks,

jvk

Edited by jvk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jvk

• geek-accountant

• ikon

Before I dropped the money for a new router, I would check to see if there is a new firmware update available for your present router. If the problem persists, it may be time to start looking for a new router. The D-Link D855? seems to be a favorite among some forum members. I still use the Linksys WRT54G loaded with the Tomato software.

I have a netgear WNDR3700 that seems to work pretty well. I've had very little trouble with it, and at times I do load it pretty heavily. I have managed to do 25MB/s transfers across the LAN while streaming netflix to one of the computers involved in the data transfer. Based on what I have seen on openWRT, it looks like it is pretty much the fastest router available (or at least that supports openWRT). It does also have a USB port to host an external hard drive with, but I haven't tried hooking up one yet. Haven't really seen a reason to use it since I have the WHS box.

First off, you should optimally be plugging all of your devices into a switch and then go from that to the router, so that all computer->computer transfers never hit the router (except wireless). In doing so, you can remove the gigabit requirement from the router.

I'm partial to Dlink routers, but would use almost anything that isn't linksys.

Before I dropped the money for a new router, I would check to see if there is a new firmware update available for your present router. If the problem persists, it may be time to start looking for a new router. The D-Link D855? seems to be a favorite among some forum members. I still use the Linksys WRT54G loaded with the Tomato software.

I've been checking regularly for new firmware and unfortunately i have the latest version which also shipped with the router.

First off, you should optimally be plugging all of your devices into a switch and then go from that to the router, so that all computer->computer transfers never hit the router (except wireless). In doing so, you can remove the gigabit requirement from the router.

I'm partial to Dlink routers, but would use almost anything that isn't linksys.

Nice tip. I happen to have a switch laying around so I'll give that a try tomorrow evening. It is also worth mentioning that we have an AT&T micro cell on the network (which is basically a personal cell phone tower in the house that uses our broadband internet connection as a signal source). I wonder if that is somehow fowling up the network.

I'm not sure what usacomp2k3 has against linksys (except it's now owned by Cisco of course) but I've had Linksys routers that worked very well.

On the other hand, I agree with the idea of a separate switch. Doing that relieves the router from having to pass the gigabit traffic; the only traffic the router needs to handle is internet traffic. I think you'll like that better.

As far as make & model are concerned, a lot of people seem to like the DLink DIR-655 and DIR-855.

My history with LInksys has also been tainted with problems and early failures. I have the DIR 655, 615, 825 and all work without a hitch. I have a dual band setup at my daughters house using the 825 and it works great. If you want an inexpensive solution, go the dir 655. If you need dual band go for the 665 or 825. My two cents.

I purchased a WRT610N a year ago. My first unit I had to RMA after 3 months. Linksys replaced it with a newer rev. and I haven't had a problem since.

The WRT610N has great range. It feeds one laptop and two desktops in our home. It does a pretty good job at streaming video.

Ive had bad experiences with Belkin routers in the past.

Thanks for the tips everyone, it looks like the D-link or Lynksys options are the way to go. I'll let everyone know how putting a switch between the Router and LAN clients works out.

jvk