RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What should I use as an external HD with my router?

Last weekend I purchased a WD My Book 8TB hard drive. I wanted to attach it to my Synology router, where I had hoped to share it out to everyone in my house. 

Doesn't look like that's possible. It took me a little while to figure out how to make it recognized by the router, but I finally got that done. The router's SRM software informed me that I'm to use \\SynologyRouter in Windows 10 File Explorer. I did so, then nothing. It should up, sort of. I really can't do anything with it. So, I got onto the Best Buy website (where I bought it) and talked with some people. Looks like that WD My Book is meant to be connected to a single PC or laptop at a time. Not how I wanted to use it. So, I'm considering returning it and getting something else if it's in my budget.

That leads me to ask, what external hard drive can I get, to attach to my Synology router's USB3 port, so I can share it out to everyone on my network?

oj88

Once you got the drive plugged into the router, you probably need to set it up further using the admin pages of your router.

I am not familiar with SRM but typically on other platforms, you need to access the admin page to add/recognize the drive, format it, and create a network file share. There may be other steps involved like adding users or setting up basic security for the file share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1