RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I Am Back, and with a Synology DS1621+ and three 8 TB Seagate NAS drives

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Okay, I am sure no one cares that I am back but hey, I like to attempt humor. 

So my WHS V1 box is still running on an XPS420. I don't recall how old that machine is but I know it is over 10 years. So it is still running okay but one of the HDD's is going bad and it is telling me the CMOS battery voltage is low. I have always wondered how long they lasted. I could fix it but I think it is clearly time to transition. So the plan is to use the Synology as my new file server and then back up to a pc running stablebit drive pool and allwaysync given it appears synology doesn't have a backup tool (to backup the NAS). I have a lot to learn and figure I would get a conversation started if other people are running a similar set up. Or even a different set up that I can consider.  

PS            I reviewed the latest posts and saw a lot of familiar names. I hope everyone is doing well. 

• Like 1
ImTheTypeOfGuy
1 hour ago, JackoUK said:

Whatever. Never heard of you 😉

I'd go for:

ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T Review an AMD Ryzen Server Motherboard (servethehome.com)

and

Define 7 XL — Fractal Design (fractal-design.com)

unless you want a lot of disks, that is.

I love how the front of that case is so clean. Very nice. Thanks for the suggestions for hardware. However, I may have not been clear. My main question/focus is more on the software side and how people are backing up the NAS. 

Thanks for the response. 

TheGuru
...it appears synology doesn't have a backup tool (to backup the NAS).

HyperBackup (Synology) allows backup of the NAS to another destination, e.g. another NAS (like I do), a network file share, some cloud services etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
ImTheTypeOfGuy

HyperBackup (Synology) allows backup of the NAS to another destination, e.g. another NAS (like I do), a network file share, some cloud services etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I actually called Synology tech support because I couldn't find anything online about backing up the NAS. They told me they did not have a tool to do that. It must have been that techs first day on the job.

Thanks for that information! A perfect example of why I came here for information.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If you are using OneDrive use CloudSync to copy your OneDrive storage down to your NAS or backup a few directories to your OneDrive storage.  It works with a lot of other cloud providers as well.

HyperBackup is awesome.  Backup to a USB attached drive or cloud service.  I do both and a HyperBackup to a secondary Synology in a different part of the house.