Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What probable causes are there for Windows hanging on bootup?


Rodf
 Share

Recommended Posts

My wife has an older Dell desktop. It has Windows 10 Home Edition. It's slow, which is reason for concern but by itself not terribly important. However, what is of concern is the PC will often hang upon reboot. We notice this during Update Tuesday when our machines reboot themselves overnight when Microsoft pushes out an update. I bring this up because Costco has a sale on a simple Dell Inspiron desktop. This coming weekend is a long weekend, which for me would be the perfect time to replace her desktop - if it should be replaced. The alternative, I think, would be to replace her HD with an SSD. I'm trying to decide which I should do.

 

So, if a Windows machine frequently hanging upon reboot is a hardware issue, then I'd like to get her that new Dell. If it's something related to the HD failing, then a new SSD would be best. In either case, I'd like to do it this coming weekend.

 

Looking forward to your feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very hard to predict were the issue is. If it hangs before the Windows screen comes up it is likely hardware. If it hangs with the Windows splash screen up it is likely software. I would confirm the desktop has the latest BIOS, if you have not updated it recently. Once the BIOS is up-to-date, I would run a Windows clean up utility, to clean up the Windows installation. I prefer Glary, https://www.glarysoft.com/.

Be sure you have a good backup of this machine before you do any of these things.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rodf said:

My wife has an older Dell desktop. It has Windows 10 Home Edition. It's slow, which is reason for concern but by itself not terribly important. However, what is of concern is the PC will often hang upon reboot. We notice this during Update Tuesday when our machines reboot themselves overnight when Microsoft pushes out an update. I bring this up because Costco has a sale on a simple Dell Inspiron desktop. This coming weekend is a long weekend, which for me would be the perfect time to replace her desktop - if it should be replaced. The alternative, I think, would be to replace her HD with an SSD. I'm trying to decide which I should do.

 

So, if a Windows machine frequently hanging upon reboot is a hardware issue, then I'd like to get her that new Dell. If it's something related to the HD failing, then a new SSD would be best. In either case, I'd like to do it this coming weekend.

 

Looking forward to your feedback.

 

I first boot into the bios and verify that all the memory and drives that should be present are recognized.   also verify that the correct boot disk is selected.   

 

If this checks out, I boot into a USB stick using A light Linux distro, if it boots, check your original boot drive is readable  - might be time to replace the hard drive

 

from a hardware perspective,  If I need to open the case, I will reseat every connection and test.  next step would be to try a different power supply

 

at some point, if its an arcane hardware failure, on a low end system its time to replace imho.

good luck and if you find the cause let us know

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Very hard to predict were the issue is. If it hangs before the Windows screen comes up it is likely hardware. If it hangs with the Windows splash screen up it is likely software. I would confirm the desktop has the latest BIOS, if you have not updated it recently. Once the BIOS is up-to-date, I would run a Windows clean up utility, to clean up the Windows installation. I prefer Glary, https://www.glarysoft.com/.

Be sure you have a good backup of this machine before you do any of these things.

 

 

I've checked, the BIOS is up to date.

 

Also checked with my wife. When it hangs upon reboot or PC startup, it always hangs before Windows comes up. All it shows is Dell, which I take to mean it's still in the BIOS mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've fixed lots of old desktops and laptops which sound just like yours. It's usually:

- a virus

- a driver

- 2 antivirus programs fighting each other

- a decaying old disk

Reinstalling Windows (10 presumably) on any old SSD and upping RAM from 2GB to 4GB (or 8GB) invariably sorts everything out.

Even back to an early CORE 2 DUO 2006 vintage!

 

It is relatively easy to prepare a DELL machine since it will have a service tag linking to all the necessary drivers on DELL's support website.

 

I've also found that Windows 10 is generally very good at finding all the drivers on its own ... because a final supported set is finalised for older hardware ... and for all major brands like SAMSUNG, LENOVO, HP, etc.

No need to worry about activation now either for W10, since the embedded OEM licence will be recognised and allowed.

 

DELL also has a permanent outlet store for refurbished machines which are generally available at good prices, if you miss out on the COSTCO sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One tactic you might consider ....

... try a small SSD in the old machine, cost say $30 ...

... and if that doesn't work buy a new machine with a HDD, then use the SSD in the new machine giving you an OS and application drive as well as the HDD for data.

 

Another, if you go the Dell Outlet route, is to buy a business desktop, for then you will obtain Windows 10 Professional. Very quick pick from the UK Outlet

Refurbished Business Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs: Dell Outlet | Dell UK

Edited by JackoUK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, JackoUK said:

I've fixed lots of old desktops and laptops which sound just like yours. It's usually:

- a virus

- a driver

- 2 antivirus programs fighting each other

- a decaying old disk

Reinstalling Windows (10 presumably) on any old SSD and upping RAM from 2GB to 4GB (or 8GB) invariably sorts everything out.

Even back to an early CORE 2 DUO 2006 vintage!

 

It is relatively easy to prepare a DELL machine since it will have a service tag linking to all the necessary drivers on DELL's support website.

 

I've also found that Windows 10 is generally very good at finding all the drivers on its own ... because a final supported set is finalised for older hardware ... and for all major brands like SAMSUNG, LENOVO, HP, etc.

No need to worry about activation now either for W10, since the embedded OEM licence will be recognised and allowed.

 

DELL also has a permanent outlet store for refurbished machines which are generally available at good prices, if you miss out on the COSTCO sale.

 

She did have two AV's on her machine, one being a trial version of MalwareBytes. I've removed that, then rebooted it. It still hung on reboot, at the BIOS level with the Dell logo there. 😒

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got another spare HDD?

Grab a USB stick and download Windows 10 on it, stick the new/spare drive into the old machine and see if you can install it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like a hardware fault.

Could be the HDD.

Trig0r's is a good idea ...

... but if it does turn out to be the disk then you would still be advised to switch up to an SSD.

 

You need to download Windows on another comparable Windows PC (assuming the problem device no longer boots up at all) from here Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) onto a USB drive.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I'd deffo go down the SSD route, but any other spare disk would do to prove the point of it being the drive or just a bad install.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...