RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NAS, but over USB?

Trig0r

Has anyone here got a NAS that has USB on it?

If you plug your PC into the USB does it appear to the PC as a drive or are they just for adding external drives/printers etc to the NAS??

Looking for something that might not exist, but would be nice if we could plug a NAS into a device for that device to stream to it over USB, and then people on the network to be able to see the files on the NAS as normal.

cskenney

A NAS is typically a master device where USB drives are slaves.  I don’t recall ever seeing a NAS that can also be a USB slave. Interestingly, cell phones do this (the port can switch between master and slave).

Trig0r

Yeah I've not seen it before tbh, figured I'd ask the guys here..

We might have found a different solution to the problem we were trying to solve in any case..

oj88

Use the a different search term such as USB 3.0 multi-bay enclosure, not NAS. A NAS is a standalone device and connects via Ethernet. A USB drive enclosure on the other hand requires a host device, such as a PC, to be able to use it.

I use a 2-bay Orico SATA docking station like the one below. You can have two drives inserted at the same time and both drives, individually, show up in Windows.

https://www.orico.cc/usmobile/product/detail/id/3551

They also have a 4-bay model: http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6377

Edited by oj88
Al_Borges

QNAP has a couple of expansion units that can be used either as a direct attached storage or as an expansion to a qnap nas

Trig0r

Needs to be a NAS so that other users on the network can see the files.

Its for an audio recorder, they have a small amount of onboard storage and then usually write out to a USB stick, I was trying to find something that would let us connect a NAS as essentially direct storage via USB and then the users on the network could see the same files.

However, we've found another recorder than can output to FTP once a file is complete, it will record a channel while that channel is in use, then dump that "session" out to a local file, which once done will get uploaded to FTP..

Dave

The last time I researched this, QNAP was the only option. They had a NAS that would also work direct attached.  I don't know which one it was though.  

Could you get a cheap DAS and share it?  QNAP has had this box, and I've always wanted it!

https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TR-002-Enclosure-Attached-Hardware/dp/B07Q1KB12X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=qnap+direct&qid=1609804475&sr=8-1

• Like 1
Trig0r

Shared DAS wouldn't work trackside, I'll check the options and go from there, seems the recorder we are looking at the 2 channel has VOX and the 64 doesn't which sucks balls but we'll see what we can do...