RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I connect 2 HDMI devices to one port?

Rodf

I've got a 4- or 5-year-old Vizio TV. Not a "smart" TV, but it's functional. For Christmas I got myself a Vizio V-Series 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar V51-H6. Yesterday I set it up, then I discovered my problem. The Vizio TV has 2 HDMI ports. One is for the new sound bar. The only I had a Roku Ultra plugged into it. I would also like to plug a Blu-ray player into it, but I can't plug both the Roku and the Blu-ray player into one port.

So, how do I get around this? I went to Walmart last night, looking for something like an adapter with one HDMI port on one end, and a Y-split connection on the other for two HDMI devices. At least that's what I had in mind. Couldn't find it. Maybe that's because I was at Walmart. Anyway, they had these other things, one called a 4-device HDMI Switch, and another called a 4-device HTML splitter. I've never heard of either concept - I don't know if that's what I should get or not. The Walmart guy assured me either would work. They were identically priced. They're both from Walmart's own brand, Onn. The way the Walmart guy described it, the switch would have a remote that I could designate which port to use. The splitter would rotate through the different HDMI devices in a round-robin fashion. He didn't bother to tell me where this clicker thingy was, so I decided to go with the switch.

Does this switch thing make sense?

Edited by Rodf
spelling correction

HDMI switches tend to work well as long as the support the resolution you need. We have all of our gaming consoles running through an HDMI switch to save on ports at the TV. 

Splitters can have issues depending on how they are triggered.

• Like 1