RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Individual shares?

Masquerade

I'm not yet a WHS user and am trying to understand how I would use it. There are a number of PCs on the LAN and each has one or more users. As is normal, each user has there own "My Documents", "My Photos", etc, etc. I realise that WHS will back up each PC - that is not my problem. However, I understand that WHS also has such folders. Are these shared across all users or does each user have their own "My Photos" (for example).

Second point - I assume that, with WHS2011, one sets up network shares like one does with any other server. Such shares would be visable on the local PC as would any other network share on any other server.

I'm not yet a WHS user and am trying to understand how I would use it. There are a number of PCs on the LAN and each has one or more users. As is normal, each user has there own "My Documents", "My Photos", etc, etc. I realise that WHS will back up each PC - that is not my problem. However, I understand that WHS also has such folders. Are these shared across all users or does each user have their own "My Photos" (for example).

WHS create 'my photos' etc. folders. It does create users\%username% shares for each user you add to the server, but they are empty by default.

You can move your My Documents folder to there easily enough, though.

Second point - I assume that, with WHS2011, one sets up network shares like one does with any other server. Such shares would be visable on the local PC as would any other network share on any other server.

I believe it's recommended to create shared folders throught the dasboard. That way the wizard will automagicly ask you who you want to give access to that share. Yes, the shares will be visible to every computer and user in the network, but only users whom you've granted access to them can actually open them.

The easiest way to do this is through the Console. The Shares are setup the same way as any other Server 2003 install except the Console does this for you by Creating the Share and setting the Security Permissions for the folder.